Old 16-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Jumper

When you get it, keep it in the 'fridge. It will extend the "shelf life" to
about two years. Don't let it freeze, but keep it cold: it keeps the "bugs"
in hibernation until they hit the pond water.

Lee

"_Lil_Lamb" wrote in message
The closest dealer, to where I am, is over 2 hours away.

Looking for somewhere to order from. This dealer may ship. It says it has

a life of 4-6
mos. at room temp, so a day or so in shipping should be okay, right?

--
Dee

Drop "BYE" to email me.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Go to http://www.koizyme.com/KOICARE/query2_list.asp and see if there is

vendor near you. When we started using it we were having to order it

from
Colorado, but two of my local pond stores now have it. It must be
refrigerated, so not everyone will handle it.
--
RichToyBox

"_Lil_Lamb" wrote in message
Ahhh.. I will have to get some KoiZyme.

Well, to update the saga, I just went out to see if I could find

Velvet,
and the little
bugger jumped from the spillover main area into the small 'bog' at the

side. I was
happy he is alive (and feeling his oats as he wouldn't let me touch

him).
I got out the
net and gently scooped him out, and brought him inside. He is now

interrupting romance in
the betta breeding 20GL tank, as it has a locking screen cover, much

the chagrin of
Mrs. Betta. She wasn't fully ready to mate yet, and as such is still

in
her 'globe' (I use
a hurricane lamp globe so it keeps them apart, yet in the same water

but
allows her to be
very gently let in with him simply by lifting the globe up over her).

I am
going to remove
her and put her back in her "vase" (not the tiny ones they sell for

bettas, this one is
huge!). The male betta came over as the net hit the water, all

flounced
out, until he saw
Velvet's size. LOL. Velvet isn't the least bit interested in either of

them, but quickly
swam to the bottom and stirred up the tiny bit of gravel that is there

as
a host for the
good bacteria. I am going to hit the tank with MarOxy, some

StressZyme,
and pray.

The breeding tank was set up with aquarium salt to aid in healing any

'boo
boo's' the
bettas get during their sometimes violent mating, so that should help!

This may delay the breeding cycle, but I know if I leave the little

stinker in the
spillover, he is going to make another escape attempt, and this time

Mommy
will be in the
hospital, and unable to save him.

We lost only 2 rosy reds during the whole ordeal, so I guess it isn't

as
bad as I feared.
This couldn't have happened at a worse time, though, considering my

condition, my poor
hubby is stuck doing most of the work.

Another quick ??? - is KoiZyme available at places like PetSmart, or

will
I have to go to
a pond specialty store, or is it best to order online? I have never

seen
it, so I don't
know how the online price compares to retail.

Thanks for all your help.

--
Dee
Drop "BYE" to email me.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
KoiZyme is a bacteria that competitively excludes the bad bacteria,

unlike
PondZyme and some of the other enzyme products that help digest

waste.
have been using it since it first came out and feel that it has

saved
many
of my fish and kept me from having to do antibiotic
injections/treatments/dips etc. I don't like pond treatments for

bacterial
infections since they do have negative effects on the filter if they

are
strong enough to do anything for the fish. Salt at 1 pound per 100

gallons
will do more to stimulate the slime coat than any product that I

know
and it
is CHEAP. Just be sure that it is pure salt, non iodized, such as

pickling
salt, water softener salt, or ice cream salt.
--
RichToyBox

"_Lil_Lamb" wrote in message
Thanks! I haven't seen him (floating or otherwise-I *hope* that is

good
sign!!!). I put
some PondZyme in the water, and am considering MarOxy, as a

prophylaxis,
as I don't really
have anything for the outdoor tanks, just meds for my indoor

babies.
(I
always dosed with
MarOxy and Maracide when introducing new fish or moving fish to

another
tank). Will MarOxy
be okay in a pond? It is only 35 gallons (they are in the

spillover).
have always used
it indoors as I love the Mardel meds since they do not harm the

beneficial
bacteria in my
biological filtration. I think I will go get some of that enzyme

stuff
that makes the
slime coating also.

The hole is dug out for the larger pond (couldn't find the exact
replacement for the 125
gal, so we got a 160 that approximates the same 'shape'). I have

surgery
tomorrow, and if
I scream and yell enough, I should be out by Tuesday, Wednesday at

the
worst. I hope to
get things settled in, and everyone back to the big pond by then.

So basically, to keep them from jumping, the water needs to be

kept
deep,
sweet, and they
need to be watched when you first put them in? He seemed fine in

the
bigger pond, until
the water got so low. Perhaps that is what freaked him out.

Thanks for the reply. I love your site, and was showing your

vacuum to
the
hubby this
morning. He also liked the pond pictures.
--
Dee

Drop "BYE" to email me.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Dee,

Koi will jump when they don't like their water, when new to a

pond,
or
when
they feel cornered.

Keep an eye on him. Having the slime coat dried/scraped off

often
allows
bad bacteria to enter the skin and cause ulcers. I would use a

double
dose
of KoiZyme to try to prevent the start of infection, but if

infection
starts, post quickly and we will pick it up there.
--
RichToyBox

"_Lil_Lamb" wrote in message
Is it
normal for koi to just jump like that? He had to have jumped

at
LEAST
6
feet, as there is
a ledge, and a shelf, plus the rocks around the edge.

If they jump like that, is there something I should do in the

future
discourage it?

I am not
sure if he is going to make it or not. If he does, I think I

will
rename
him Houdini.

Dee