Old 16-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Rich McCormack

Default bannanas in San Diego?

Bob Doyle wrote:

Greetings,

I've lived in San Diego, CA since 1969 and am now seeing (for the first
time) bananas growing on the local banana palm trees. Right in my backyard.
The latitude here in app 32.75 N, and I did not think that bananas could
produce fruit at this latitude.

Right now they're about 1/2 the size of store produce and still green.

Anyone else ever grow edible bananas this far North?

I can remember a banana plant flowering and setting fruit in
Orange, CA (33 47N), where I lived until moving to San Diego
County 20 years ago. And, there is a rare fruit growers
association in Fallbrook (32 44N) and at least a couple of
exotic fruit ranches there that include fruiting bananas
in their collection. I know little to nothing about growing
bananas; but, as I understand, they will flower and set fruit
if the micro-climate is right. I think they need more than
a year of frost free temps to do so; and, after that, the
stalk dies and should be cut back to the ground where a new
plant will emerge from an underground rhizome. I'd check
around for more info before getting the pruning saw out
though, I could be wrong. :-)

Rich

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/