Old 15-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Bob Doyle

Default bannanas in San Diego?

Greetings,

I've lived in San Diego, CA since 1969 and am now seeing (for the first
time) bananas growing on the local banana palm trees. Right in my backyard.
The latitude here in app 32.75 N, and I did not think that bananas could
produce fruit at this latitude.

Right now they're about 1/2 the size of store produce and still green.

Anyone else ever grow edible bananas this far North?

tia,

Bob Doyle

Old 16-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Charles E. Elias

South Eastern Connecticut --- indoors under lights. We gave out bannana
bread to all our disbelieving friends last year.
Charlie

Old 16-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Rich McCormack

Bob Doyle wrote:

Greetings,

I've lived in San Diego, CA since 1969 and am now seeing (for the first
time) bananas growing on the local banana palm trees. Right in my backyard.
The latitude here in app 32.75 N, and I did not think that bananas could
produce fruit at this latitude.

Right now they're about 1/2 the size of store produce and still green.

Anyone else ever grow edible bananas this far North?

I can remember a banana plant flowering and setting fruit in
Orange, CA (33 47N), where I lived until moving to San Diego
County 20 years ago. And, there is a rare fruit growers
association in Fallbrook (32 44N) and at least a couple of
exotic fruit ranches there that include fruiting bananas
in their collection. I know little to nothing about growing
bananas; but, as I understand, they will flower and set fruit
if the micro-climate is right. I think they need more than
a year of frost free temps to do so; and, after that, the
stalk dies and should be cut back to the ground where a new
plant will emerge from an underground rhizome. I'd check
around for more info before getting the pruning saw out
though, I could be wrong. :-)

Rich

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Old 16-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article H_o9b.56173$nf3.4185@fed1read07,
"Bob Doyle" wrote:

Greetings,

I've lived in San Diego, CA since 1969 and am now seeing (for the first
time) bananas growing on the local banana palm trees. Right in my backyard.
The latitude here in app 32.75 N, and I did not think that bananas could
produce fruit at this latitude.

Right now they're about 1/2 the size of store produce and still green.

Anyone else ever grow edible bananas this far North?

tia,

Bob Doyle

Years ago I remember reading about a place that grew bananas
commercially on a small scale along the central coast. They grew
unusual varieties. There were several articles in various cooking
magazines/ AAA mag and travel type stories on the local tv shows. I
haven't been that way in a few years and don't know if they are still
around.

I have several friends here in San Mateo who have bananas growing and
fruiting in their yards. A few hours north of you :-)

It happens. We have lots of weird little microclimates in CA.

marcella
Old 16-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Steve

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
Years ago I remember reading about a place that grew bananas
commercially on a small scale along the central coast. They grew
unusual varieties............................

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that story. That place grew
dozens of banana varieties. They were on a narrow bit of land with the
ocean on one side and steep cliffs on the other side. I guess that
guaranteed the area would never freeze.
I don't remember exactly where the place was/is but it was definitely in
California somewhere.

Steve

Old 17-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
Years ago I remember reading about a place that grew bananas
commercially on a small scale along the central coast. They grew
unusual varieties............................

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that story. That place grew
dozens of banana varieties. They were on a narrow bit of land with the
ocean on one side and steep cliffs on the other side. I guess that
guaranteed the area would never freeze.
I don't remember exactly where the place was/is but it was definitely in
California somewhere.

Steve

Hey! I found something on it...

http://www.californiaheartland.org/a...Banana_Man.htm

marcella
see!? we weren't dreaming
Old 17-09-2003, 04:13 AM
Steve

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
In article ,
Steve wrote:

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

Years ago I remember reading about a place that grew bananas
commercially on a small scale along the central coast. They grew
unusual varieties............................

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that story. That place grew
dozens of banana varieties. They were on a narrow bit of land with the
ocean on one side and steep cliffs on the other side. I guess that
guaranteed the area would never freeze.
I don't remember exactly where the place was/is but it was definitely in
California somewhere.

Steve

Hey! I found something on it...

http://www.californiaheartland.org/a...Banana_Man.htm

marcella
see!? we weren't dreaming

Good work Marcella.
I considered doing a search but didn't have time at that moment.

I remember the mention of the variety called "ice cream". I can picture
a man taste testing that one, which makes me wonder if I saw it on TV. I
wonder if it was a segment on the Victory Garden TV show?

Steve

Old 17-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Pablo

Here in OZ one of the largest banana growing areas is Coff's Harbour on the
east coast, about 31 deg. south.
I have grown some in Melbourne at about 37 deg. south.

Paul Cordell.

Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
King Pineapple

"Charles E. Elias" wrote in message
South Eastern Connecticut --- indoors under lights. We gave out bannana
bread to all our disbelieving friends last year.

Stokes Tropicals has a variety that you may be able to grow OUTDOORS in your
location-it's an ultra cold hardy banana variety from Asia, I think. Not
sure of the name. www.stokestropicals.com

Craig