Old 16-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Ted Byers

Default How to change soil PH without creating deadly salts ?

If your server gets rec.gardens.orchids, I would wager it has or could
easily get rec.gardens, rec.gardens.ecosystems, among several others. But
you will likely get useful answers from either of the two mentioned above.

But, I can't give you any specific advice on changing the pH of your soil
since I have not had to do that. If you bought the tree locally where you
live, the vendor ought to be able to advise, and supply whatever you need.
If he doesn't he has done you a disservice selling you a plant that is not
likely to thrive in the conditions you can easily provide for it (or he will
have if he sells such a plant to you).

Cheers,

Ted

"gmv" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I have soil in my yard that is 8+ PH and
I want to lower that PH to about 7 without
generating salts that will damage the tree
I want to plant. The tree is a Bauhinia.
This soil is so alkali that if you pour
a little vinegar on it , it will bubble
like crazy. Can anyone tell me the best
way to acidify my soil to a neutral PH
close to 7 without generating salts
dangerous to plants ?

What I really need is to get input from
a soil scientist but there are no newsgroups
on my server catering to horticulture or
soil science.

--
Sincerely,
gmv