Old 16-09-2003, 05:22 PM
B.Server

Default Soy Beans

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:55:24 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:46:30 GMT, B.Server
wrote:

...and as with corn (maize) thre are quite a number of varieties
intended for different purposes. If you have the soybean equivalent
of feed corn, it may not turn into a very satisfying milk or tofu.

In this connection, although I don't have personal
experience with them, I have read that 'Laura' soybeans are
excellent for soymilk or tofu. They are commercially
available, and (I think) may be found by Googling on 'Laura
+ soybean'.

Back in the days when I was making tofu, I just bought
ordinary soybeans at a natural foods store. The tofu was
very good.

Pat

Could be. A quick scan of some seed suppliers might turn up those
varieties intended for particular purposes. (Stokes or Thompson &
Morgan are examples) My interpretation of the OPs post was that he
lived in the midst of a producing area and thought it would supply
very inexpensive ingredients.

There was a post a while back about edamame that eventually brought
forth three "catagories" of soybean. My recollection was green,
yellow, and black. They were used for eating the beans, soy products
such as tofu and oil and feed as I recall.

One suspects the "ordinary" soybeans at a grocery store would have
been selected by the grocer for the purpose.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a crop in either of our two Central
Texas growing seasons. They seem extraordinarily susceptable to
spider mites and late season heat.