Old 11-09-2003, 03:13 AM
tippy1

Default Soy Beans

Anhone know how to make soy milk? They grow a lot of soy beans around
here and I thought I might try to make some.
--

Squire

Old 11-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"tippy1" wrote in message
Anhone know how to make soy milk? They grow a lot of soy beans around
here and I thought I might try to make some.

Try http://tinyurl.com/my5d for the machine-free version. There is a soy
milk making machine out there, too, if you want the less hassle version.
For example, http://www.anekant.org/soy_milk_machine.htm . Pricey, but if
you buy a lot of soy milk, it might be worth it.

You could also wander over to alt.food.asian and PING Nona Myers. She makes
her own tofu, okara, and I think soy milk, too. She has posted about her
experiences before (mostly on alt.food.asian, but possibly on
rec.food.cooking, as well), if you want to do a google groups search.

rona

Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:51:46 -0400, tippy1
wrote:

Anhone know how to make soy milk? They grow a lot of soy beans around
here and I thought I might try to make some.

Yes, I know how - I've made soy milk as a step in making
tofu.

It's rather a lot of work, unless you use a 'soy milk maker'
- this is a machine that does it all for you.

See http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tofumilk.html#oldsoy
for directions on how to make soy milk.

See http://www.soymilkmaker.com/ for info on a soy milk
maker. There are other brands too.

Pat

Old 14-09-2003, 08:12 PM
simy1

tippy1 wrote in message ...
Anhone know how to make soy milk? They grow a lot of soy beans around
here and I thought I might try to make some.

Fresh soymilk is very good and fresh tofu is outstanding, but believe
it, after the first time you will be sickened by the amount of work
and mess in your kitchen. Unless you buy some specific tools for the
purpose.

Old 15-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:46:30 GMT, B.Server
wrote:

...and as with corn (maize) thre are quite a number of varieties
intended for different purposes. If you have the soybean equivalent
of feed corn, it may not turn into a very satisfying milk or tofu.

In this connection, although I don't have personal
experience with them, I have read that 'Laura' soybeans are
excellent for soymilk or tofu. They are commercially
available, and (I think) may be found by Googling on 'Laura
+ soybean'.

Back in the days when I was making tofu, I just bought
ordinary soybeans at a natural foods store. The tofu was
very good.

Pat
Old 16-09-2003, 05:22 PM
B.Server

wrote:

...and as with corn (maize) thre are quite a number of varieties
intended for different purposes. If you have the soybean equivalent
of feed corn, it may not turn into a very satisfying milk or tofu.

In this connection, although I don't have personal
experience with them, I have read that 'Laura' soybeans are
excellent for soymilk or tofu. They are commercially
available, and (I think) may be found by Googling on 'Laura
+ soybean'.

Back in the days when I was making tofu, I just bought
ordinary soybeans at a natural foods store. The tofu was
very good.

Pat

Could be. A quick scan of some seed suppliers might turn up those
varieties intended for particular purposes. (Stokes or Thompson &
Morgan are examples) My interpretation of the OPs post was that he
lived in the midst of a producing area and thought it would supply
very inexpensive ingredients.

There was a post a while back about edamame that eventually brought
forth three "catagories" of soybean. My recollection was green,
yellow, and black. They were used for eating the beans, soy products
such as tofu and oil and feed as I recall.

One suspects the "ordinary" soybeans at a grocery store would have
been selected by the grocer for the purpose.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a crop in either of our two Central
Texas growing seasons. They seem extraordinarily susceptable to
spider mites and late season heat.

Soy beans Janet Galpin United Kingdom 15 23-11-2005 06:54 PM
looking for soy beans Maja M.S. Edible Gardening 3 18-09-2003 11:18 PM
RR Soy works better in rRomania than in USA Gordon Couger sci.agriculture 34 15-09-2003 11:09 PM
soy beans Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 2 27-07-2003 02:12 PM
Paying to find non-GE wild corn? (Was: Soy blocked in NZ) Brian Sandle sci.agriculture 5 19-07-2003 04:52 AM