Old 16-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Leek damage

"Robert" wrote in message ...
The leeks have been severely damaged this year rather than slightly
mutilated. I believe it is some sort of moth that does the damage on the
foliage and leaves them looking like a burnt out firework. Never used to
happen. Does anyone know how to prevent it please?

That's interesting Robert, where are you? The books, if they mention it at
all, say Leek Moth is restricted to the South Coast but we have had it in
the Staines area for years. What a mess it makes of the plants and they
never fully recover.
I have found that "Polysect" does the trick but you have to ensure it gets
down inside the centre of the plant where the caterpillars are. Derris Dust
also worked but I found it needed more than one thorough application, and
again, it must be dusted into the middle of the plant.

If you are an organic grower just give up growing Leeks or cut the tops off
level with the ground and burn them, the ones that survive will eventually
grow back into small to medium plants.

Check your Onions in store too, look for woodworm like holes where the
caterpillar emerged and then a tiny net like cocoon nearby. Those affected
will not store well.

You will have this pest every year now I'm afraid. Welcome to the club.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.