Old 17-09-2003, 02:24 AM
ponder

Default pond heater vs. de-icer

When you buy a heater just check the wattage, they are very low now and
don't cost any more then running a small lamp all winter.

Remydog wrote in message
Dennis,

I live in the suburbs of Boston which probably gets as cold as where you
are. Have you checked the price of propane lately? We have a propane

heated
swimming pool -- 33000 gallons. During the cool (low 70s) weather, it

costs
hundreds in propane to keep the pool heated to a swimmable temperature

(i.e.
10 degree differential). I can't imagine that the cost of running a small
electric heating element will cost anything like what it will cost you for
propane.

MSK

"Dennis" wrote in message
m...
We just spent all summer building a 10,000 gallon pond which is 5'
deep (3' underground, 2' above). We can't decide between a $30
floating de-icer and a $1,000 propane heater. If the cost to run the
propane heater is cheaper than the electricity cost for the floater,
we'll go for the propane heater. Does anyone know the relative costs
of these two types of heaters? Also, which is better for the koi?
Finally, if anyone has used a propane heater to keep the entire pond
ice-free for the winter, which one do you recommend.
Any input is much appreciated.
Dennis