Old 17-09-2003, 02:09 PM
MaggieBabb MaggieBabb is offline
Registered User

Location: Scotland..West Coast
Default protection for rugosas and canadians?

Quote:
Originally posted by mmarteen
I posted last spring about getting rugosas and canadian roses (Morden &
Explorer) and just keeping them until we were allowed access to our new
construction home. Well, I did get them in the spring and it turned out
that I was only able to plant them about 2 weeks ago. Normally, these types
of roses suggest no protection but since I planted them in early september
should I think about getting some styrofoam or recycled paper rose cones?
Or just mulch the base since I was going to do that anyway?

The roses a Therese Bugnet, John Cabot, Morden Blush, Morden Centennial,
Charles Albanel, Snow Pavement and Rambling Red.

mm
Hi there...I grew Cabot andTherese Bugnet plus a couple of other Cdn roses while I lived in the Niagara Falls, ON region. They were really prolific and I never covered them or anything else. Granted..they were in a protected..sort of..area, and also The Falls is pretty much a micro climate, moderate for Canada and Zone 6...I love the Explorer series and sure wish I could have a few here in Scotland. I bet they would perform just beautifully in the climate here...but sadly, short of sticking a few in my luggage and getting in trouble..not much I can do. Good luck with them!!!