Old 15-09-2003, 07:02 PM
mmarteen

Default protection for rugosas and canadians?

I posted last spring about getting rugosas and canadian roses (Morden &
Explorer) and just keeping them until we were allowed access to our new
construction home. Well, I did get them in the spring and it turned out
that I was only able to plant them about 2 weeks ago. Normally, these types
of roses suggest no protection but since I planted them in early september
should I think about getting some styrofoam or recycled paper rose cones?
Or just mulch the base since I was going to do that anyway?

The roses a Therese Bugnet, John Cabot, Morden Blush, Morden Centennial,
Charles Albanel, Snow Pavement and Rambling Red.

mm

Old 15-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

When I got my first rugosas/Canadians, it was at a fall sale,
and they overwintered fine. I do put leaves around for protection,
but they are pretty tough, so I think of the leaves as more of
a mulch than a protection many years later. My first ones
were Charles Albanel, Therese Bugnet and Martin Frobisher. Planted
them in Sept/Oct, and they were blooming in May/June. Enjoy!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder, CO Zone 5

Old 16-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Charles Perry

mmarteen wrote:

Normally, these types
of roses suggest no protection but since I planted them in early september
should I think about getting some styrofoam or recycled paper rose cones?
Or just mulch the base since I was going to do that anyway?

Here in MN zone 4a, it is a good idea to mulch the base of new plantings. I
personally avoid the paper and styrofoam cones for fear of cooking the plants on
bright spring days. I have not grown Snow Pavement, but of the others, Morden
blush is the least hardy for me. I put a 2 foot fence around it and fill the
space with leaves with a plastic bag of leaves for a cover. I have stopped
protecting the others except for renewing the mulch layer because the canes that
were above the leaf fill were usually green anyway come spring. I will put some
burlap to screen the canes of Hope for Humanity because it got some serious sun
scald last winter on the newer canes.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 16-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Tim Tompkins

You did not mention how they have been kept since your purchase.

I presume they have been in containers. If so the root system is probably
wraping around the inside of the container and will most likely continue to
grow in that pattern unless you 'stress' the root system to get it to
develop new roots. Before planting make 3 or 4 vertical cuts with a utility
knife to sever the outer layer of the root system. This will encourage the
root system to grow new roots in an outward pattern.

The roses should be buried with the crown 3" below the soil and heavily
mulched. Using a liquid root stimulator will promote root growth during the
dormant period of winter.

Tim

Old 17-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland..West Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by mmarteen
I posted last spring about getting rugosas and canadian roses (Morden &
Explorer) and just keeping them until we were allowed access to our new
construction home. Well, I did get them in the spring and it turned out
that I was only able to plant them about 2 weeks ago. Normally, these types
of roses suggest no protection but since I planted them in early september
should I think about getting some styrofoam or recycled paper rose cones?
Or just mulch the base since I was going to do that anyway?

The roses a Therese Bugnet, John Cabot, Morden Blush, Morden Centennial,
Charles Albanel, Snow Pavement and Rambling Red.

mm
Hi there...I grew Cabot andTherese Bugnet plus a couple of other Cdn roses while I lived in the Niagara Falls, ON region. They were really prolific and I never covered them or anything else. Granted..they were in a protected..sort of..area, and also The Falls is pretty much a micro climate, moderate for Canada and Zone 6...I love the Explorer series and sure wish I could have a few here in Scotland. I bet they would perform just beautifully in the climate here...but sadly, short of sticking a few in my luggage and getting in trouble..not much I can do. Good luck with them!!!

Old 19-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Joe

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
You did not mention how they have been kept since your purchase.

I presume they have been in containers. If so the root system is probably
wraping around the inside of the container and will most likely continue

grow in that pattern unless you 'stress' the root system to get it to
develop new roots. Before planting make 3 or 4 vertical cuts with a

utility
knife to sever the outer layer of the root system. This will encourage

the
root system to grow new roots in an outward pattern.

The roses should be buried with the crown 3" below the soil and heavily
mulched. Using a liquid root stimulator will promote root growth during

the
dormant period of winter.

Tim

Here in Zone 3A I have all the roses you mention. While I agree with the
mulching, pull it away in the spring to improve that all-important air
circulation.

Do you get snow? If you have access to clean snow, without road salt or
dessicants, use that. I do. Snow is really the best winter mulch you'll
ever find (as well as encouraging nitrogen absorption), and it's free!

The Therese Bugnet though you don't need to fuss with-it's the toughest rose
in the universe. Mine is the only one of the bunch that gets no tip kill at
all, leafs out the earliest, and flowers earliest.

Old 21-09-2003, 06:22 AM
mmarteen

"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Good point. Last winter we got virtually no snow, none before we had wicked
temps in -30 F range. I guess I will watch the temps and the snow and add
mulch if temps drop again with no snow.

The Therese Bugnet though you don't need to fuss with-it's the toughest

rose
in the universe. Mine is the only one of the bunch that gets no tip kill

at
all, leafs out the earliest, and flowers earliest.

Great! That is what I was looking for.

mm

Old 21-09-2003, 06:42 PM
marika

"mmarteen" wrote in message ...

Good point. Last winter we got virtually no snow, none before we had wicked
temps in -30 F range. I guess I will watch the temps and the snow and add
mulch if temps drop again with no snow.

The Therese Bugnet though you don't need to fuss with-it's the toughest

rose
in the universe. Mine is the only one of the bunch that gets no tip kill

at
all, leafs out the earliest, and flowers earliest.

Great! That is what I was looking for.

i found this when I
decided to plant a garden at our house in calgary.

also I dug out bushels of lilly bulbs and gave them to everyone who would take
them including the mailman! They had grown into a solid mass about two foot
deep and 4 foot wide. The interesting thing is after I dug them all out and
planted my garden I still had a the same number of day lillies and they
were prettier than ever. I guess they were so packed together they couldn't
bloom except on the edges, where I left them. I did the same thng with the
Hostas. They were huge round lumps and I hacked them to bits and kept only
a tiny hunk for my self. Again the neighborhood gardeners got bushels.
They grew up prettier than before. Some plants like abuse!

I will be careful though to not damage anything non weedy. You just have
this blank sunny spot that is so tempting. I could see it in sweet corn.
It may not do much this year, there is so much Sumac. I swear it poisions
the soil. I will dig up as many roots as possible and put down some soil
building humus/manure, and plant some seeds and see what it does. We have
had some of the nicest wet weather, I hope it lasts another month.

i also found a Hawthorn. I was wondering what it
was, I didn't recognise the bush. I don't think I ever saw one before.

I only stomp out known weeds. g

Thanks for letting me mess in your yard.

mk5000

"Left click once, scroll down, shift, left click again,
delete key! Gotta love it!"--
jeran