Old 17-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Ph Meter

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:38:43 +0100, Marge wrote:

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Nit-Note: it's "pH", not "Ph".

Rather than buy an expensive and not-very-accurate machine, buy a
roll of pH testing paper (not just old-fashioned litmus paper).
You probably want the stuff that covers, say, from ph5 to ph8 or
thereabouts, not the full range stuff that goes from 1 to 14.

pH testing paper will pin your soil pH down to about half a unit,
which is more than accurate enough for horticultural purposes.

One roll of the stuff will last you for years.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada