Old 17-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Marge

Default Ph Meter

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Thanks

Old 17-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Middleton/Walker

"Marge" wrote in message
I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic

gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Thanks

Litmus paper gives you all the 'accuracy' that you really need and is much
less expensive than kits etc. HW

Old 17-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Derek Turner

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:38:43 +0100, "Marge"
wrote:

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil.

err.. that's pH (minus log to the base 10 of the hydrogen ion
concentation)
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 17-09-2003, 01:12 PM
redclay

Marge wrote in message
I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic

gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?
Thanks

The test paper kits are all you need to monitor your garden's pH. Just
moisten the dirt and press the paper to let the color develope.

Old 17-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:38:43 +0100, Marge wrote:

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Nit-Note: it's "pH", not "Ph".

Rather than buy an expensive and not-very-accurate machine, buy a
roll of pH testing paper (not just old-fashioned litmus paper).
You probably want the stuff that covers, say, from ph5 to ph8 or
thereabouts, not the full range stuff that goes from 1 to 14.

pH testing paper will pin your soil pH down to about half a unit,
which is more than accurate enough for horticultural purposes.

One roll of the stuff will last you for years.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Peter Goddard

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic

gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings.

Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Mine has proved very useful ,,,, as a probe for singling seedlings. As a
means of determining Ph it was useless. I also have the B&Q moisture meter
which is even less useful - unless I take up knitting in which case both
will come in handy!

Old 18-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Drakanthus

I want to measure the Ph of my garden soil. B&Q have the little soil
testing kits, but they also have a Ph/Moisture Meter; an electronic

gadget
with metal prongs that you stick in the soil and it takes readings. Does
anyone know if these are any good and do they give accurate Ph readings?

Thanks

I've got one of those B&Q pH meters. It seemed like a good idea at the time
when I bought it. However, it spends most time gathering dust. An amusing
gardeners toy for five minutes.
I did find out one interesting thing using it though. Areas of the vegetable
patch where I'd kept a composter were completely off the scale - very acid!
I guess this means I need to move the composter round more often or add lime
to the soil underneath afterwards.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 20-09-2003, 02:42 PM
DaveDay34

I did find out one interesting thing using it though. Areas of the vegetable
patch where I'd kept a composter were completely off the scale - very acid!
I guess this means I need to move the composter round more often or add lime
to the soil underneath afterwards.
--
Drakanthus.

Just out of interest, did you add lots of conifer clippings or something
similar to get such a result from the soil beneath your composter?

Dave
Old 20-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Drakanthus

I did find out one interesting thing using it though. Areas of the
vegetable
patch where I'd kept a composter were completely off the scale - very

acid!
I guess this means I need to move the composter round more often or add

lime
to the soil underneath afterwards.
--
Drakanthus.

Just out of interest, did you add lots of conifer clippings or something
similar to get such a result from the soil beneath your composter?

Dave

No. Perhaps it was due to my homemade liquid compost accelerator :-)

Old 24-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Joe

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 at 18:00:16 Drakanthus
wrote:

Areas of the

vegetable
patch where I'd kept a composter were completely off the scale - very

acid!
I guess this means I need to move the composter round more often or add

lime
to the soil underneath afterwards.
--
Drakanthus.

Just out of interest, did you add lots of conifer clippings or something
similar to get such a result from the soil beneath your composter?

Dave

No. Perhaps it was due to my homemade liquid compost accelerator :-)

Surely, that's alkaline?
--
Joe Farrugia, London