Old 18-09-2003, 03:02 AM
mtk

Default Quack grass

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
Where is the quack grass? In the lawn or in the garden?

In the garden, persistent weeding (get those roots too) will eventually
eliminate it, but I also find that quack grass is about the first thing up
in the spring and so it can be sprayed with round-up at those times,

before
the desired plants sprout. This is especially useful when it is among
perennials like irises.

In the lawn, a good lawn program of frequent mowing (not too short),

water,
and fertilizer will eventually allow the good grass to choke out the quack
grass. It will tend to persist along the edges of your lawn, against

fences
and other barriers where frequent mowing is unlikely to occur.

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

In flower beds it can be killed with 'grass b gone', but check what it's
safe to use it on. I use it in my rose beds (hasn't killed the ground cover
or the roses, just the quack grass). It also did well among my lilies and
iris.