Old 17-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Romy Beeck

Default Quack grass

Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

Old 17-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Chris Owens

Romy Beeck wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

There are some truly AWFUL puns that spring to mind, but, I will
be a Good Girl. The best way is to pull it out by hand.
Water the area you'll be weeding the night before to loosen the
roots.

Chris Owens

Old 17-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Where is the quack grass? In the lawn or in the garden?

In the garden, persistent weeding (get those roots too) will eventually
eliminate it, but I also find that quack grass is about the first thing up
in the spring and so it can be sprayed with round-up at those times, before
the desired plants sprout. This is especially useful when it is among
perennials like irises.

In the lawn, a good lawn program of frequent mowing (not too short), water,
and fertilizer will eventually allow the good grass to choke out the quack
grass. It will tend to persist along the edges of your lawn, against fences
and other barriers where frequent mowing is unlikely to occur.

Old 18-09-2003, 01:32 AM
dkat

I'd really like to hear the puns

I agree on the solution. The only way I have ever found to get rid of it is
to pull it out. That actually worked well for me last year.

DK

Old 18-09-2003, 03:02 AM
mtk

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

In flower beds it can be killed with 'grass b gone', but check what it's
safe to use it on. I use it in my rose beds (hasn't killed the ground cover
or the roses, just the quack grass). It also did well among my lilies and
iris.

Old 18-09-2003, 04:42 AM
B & J

Romy Beeck wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of quack grass? thank you

There are some truly AWFUL puns that spring to mind, but, I will
be a Good Girl. The best way is to pull it out by hand.
Water the area you'll be weeding the night before to loosen the
roots.

Chris Owens

I hate to think of all the hours that I spent in the garden and potato patch
digging out quack grass along with pulling other weeds when I was a kid. My
mother made me take along a bushel basket where I had to deposit my weeding
efforts. She knew that many of them such as quack grass or purslane could
resprout on top of the soil if wet weather arrived after they we dug/pulled
and left.

If you don't use a grass killer or RoundUp, it doesn't work completely to
pull it by hand. It's necessary to remove every piece of root, which can and
often do extend several feet beyond the plant(s). Use a spading fork to
loosen the soil enough to get every root, for any bit left can and will
sprout. Don't put quack grass plants and roots into the compost pile. They
grow like weed there! ;-)

John