Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Stanhopia Oculata Question-Plastic Coated Mesh Baskets??

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:33:36 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Shell, it just dawned on me someone in out group made their own baskets
with a plastic coated wire mesh. Really nifty but not sure who it was???
Darn!
Maybe they will see this.
Cheers Wendy

Al has done it and so do we. You can buy rolls of plastic coated
hardware cloth (wire fence with holes from 1/4" square to holes
2-3" square). It is generally fairly dark green. It is not
difficult to work with. We create baskets to mount sideways.

------- quit reading if you don't like "feminine imagery"-------

Think of a green plastic strawberry pint that has 1/2 of the open
top filled with the same grid as the sides and back. Then hang
with the all wire large side to the wall and plant into the open
area on the 1/2 side. You can fill it with moss, or just line it
and put your favorite potting mix in the center. I use it
instead of hanging a wooden vanda basket sideways.

You can also pot directly thru some of the medium size mesh.
You can hook it on a nail on the wall.. or with an S-hook on any
wire grid work that you have.

SuE