Old 18-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Wendy

Default Stanhopia Oculata Question-Plastic Coated Mesh Baskets??

Shell, it just dawned on me someone in out group made their own baskets
with a plastic coated wire mesh. Really nifty but not sure who it was???
Darn!
Maybe they will see this.
Cheers Wendy
"Shell91" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for the tips. I have been looking at the Houston Orchid Society
pages. I wonder what would happen if I coated the chicken wire with some

of
that plastic stuff they sell to coeat tool handles...hmmm, sounds like its
experimenmt time

Shell

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
. ..
I have some research links here on Stanhopeas, Shell. I had never seen a
stanhopea before- they are rare at shows also because the blooms only

last
few days ( after all that waiting).
http://houstonorchidsociety.org/Stan...eCulture.html. I

did
lot of research on my stanhopea ass. due to it being one of the most
expensive seedlings I had bought at that time.

449 pictures of stanhopeas! cool! google search and clicked on image
searchhttp://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=stanhopea

I put it in a large wire basket, then a small wire basket because it was
over potted- it dropped most of its leaves & it played dead till I

brought
it outside and hung it in indirect light where I could water it a lot

and
it
got a lot of warm rain.

A net pot is cheap and I think prettier than chicken wire that will rust
from the moisture. You can find net pots and the wood baskets here- I

use
this supply source- they are cheaper than my local garden shop
http://www.kkorchid.com/

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
Thanks for the idea I was looking into galvanized mesh but I think

the
holes would be too small. Chicken wire I can get just about anywhere

here.

Shell

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
.be...
My experience,yet not that big, brings me to the conclusion it's not

that
hard to keep some of them alive. In a basket I've found they need to

be
watered more than plants in pot. I use chikkenwire for the baskets.

Easy
find and easy to work with, I can use them again and if I want to
sterilize
them I just boil them in water.
Cheers
Peter

"Shell91" schreef in bericht
.com...
I'm checking on basket possibilities and hanging methods Hope

can
keep
it alive long enough to bloom

Shell

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at

least
twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you

have
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in

differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I

guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96

&
first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
I have just gotten a Stanhopia oculata on eBay. I have been

doing
some
reearch on the web but I can't find anything on how old a

plant
has
be
flower. Is it like most and needs to be several years old?

&rd=1

This is the page for the auction. Any opinions on the plant?

Shell

Old 18-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Shell91

Cool I should be able to figure out a way to fix up some nice baskets.
10 tears of art school ought to be good for something
Shell

Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:33:36 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Shell, it just dawned on me someone in out group made their own baskets
with a plastic coated wire mesh. Really nifty but not sure who it was???
Darn!
Maybe they will see this.
Cheers Wendy

Al has done it and so do we. You can buy rolls of plastic coated
hardware cloth (wire fence with holes from 1/4" square to holes
2-3" square). It is generally fairly dark green. It is not
difficult to work with. We create baskets to mount sideways.

------- quit reading if you don't like "feminine imagery"-------

Think of a green plastic strawberry pint that has 1/2 of the open
top filled with the same grid as the sides and back. Then hang
with the all wire large side to the wall and plant into the open
area on the 1/2 side. You can fill it with moss, or just line it
and put your favorite potting mix in the center. I use it
instead of hanging a wooden vanda basket sideways.

You can also pot directly thru some of the medium size mesh.
You can hook it on a nail on the wall.. or with an S-hook on any
wire grid work that you have.

SuE
Old 18-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Diane Mancino

A question for the group. The new leaf growth on my stanhopea is 1/2 the
size of a normal leaf. Why is this happening.

also I'm thinking maybe I'll putting the net pot into a clay pot while this
is out of bloom to keep more moisture in. I doubt I'll see a bloom for a
long while, and it doesn't like to dry out.

Old 23-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Shell91

Got some of the galvanised hardware cloth today so I'll be making several
baskets this weekend. I plan on spray painting them with black enamel, any
thoughts on that?
Shell