Old 18-09-2003, 08:22 AM
J. Lane

Default planning for next year!!

Hi Pat, Heather and Barbara,
Despite the drought we had this year, I still have a pretty good crop of
tomatoes and peppers as well as some amazingly large Butternut squash and
tons of carrots ( I overplanted as usual). For some reason my beets hardly
germinated, and the four rows I planted only produced one 20' row. I added
manure, compost, shredded leaves and all the leavings from my rabbits cages
to the garden this year and, because I was working at the time, I had the
garden ( 50' x 20' ) rototilled. It seems to have made a real difference in
the produce. The crop was better and the soil held the moisture long enough
to get it through two days of no watering. My city has watering restrictions
that go into effect every June and lasts till September 1st.
Next year I plan on using the greenhouse I'm currently building.I found that
I can't get enough sunlight in my house to germinate and grow anything.
Actually, things germinate fine but become leggy and fall over then die.
Most of what I'll grow in the greenhouse will be flowers ( to convert 1/2 an
acre of lawn into flower beds) but I want to try growing my own tomato and
peppers from seed. I usually buy the plants. Haven't made up my mind yet
about the types. Sorry, this was a longer post than I planned.
--
Jayel,
Baji-Naji

"Heather Husvar" wrote in message

. So, what is everyone else thinking about,
if anything?

Heather H. - who obviously should of stayed in bed a bit longer.