Old 17-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Heather Husvar

Default planning for next year!!

I suppose it's never too early..

We're down to tomatos and peppers after a so-so year in the garden.
Next year everything changes at any rate. This year we shared a garden
with the in-laws on their property. Next year we're gardening in our
yard behind the garage and only maintaining the strawberry patch and
planting corn and green beans at the in-laws. (I'm guessing that my MIL
will probably plant squash as well.) Our yard retains a lot of water
so I'm going to plan on container gardening. I'm almost certain we're
going to try using tired like Pat. We have a great spot that is never
used because it's behind the garage and off to one side and all the way
at the back of the yard so it's basically "perfect". We're going to
pick up some pea gravel to put in between the tires for the "aisles".
I'm thinking that this method will work well for me as I had a lot of
trouble traveling to my IL's house and then weeding, especially when I
hurt my back this year and then followed it up with some horrible tummy
bug. I am thinking that we can put about 16 tires in the area so it
looks something like | || |. The only thing I know for sure right now
is that neither family is going to plant potatoes. We know a few other
families who plant excessive amounts of potatoes and think giving to
them to us is a GREAT idea. So, what is everyone else thinking about,
if anything?

Heather H. - who obviously should of stayed in bed a bit longer.
Old 17-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:53:31 GMT, Heather Husvar
wrote:

Our yard retains a lot of water
so I'm going to plan on container gardening. I'm almost certain we're
going to try using tired like Pat. We have a great spot that is never
used because it's behind the garage and off to one side and all the way
at the back of the yard so it's basically "perfect". We're going to
pick up some pea gravel to put in between the tires for the "aisles".

The gravel would be really nice - the aisles in our garden
get really muddy. We have heavy clay here, and it stays
muddy for a LONG time whenever it rains.

If I can ever afford gravel, I'll do that too.

I'm thinking that this method will work well for me as I had a lot of
trouble traveling to my IL's house and then weeding, especially when I
hurt my back this year and then followed it up with some horrible tummy
bug. I am thinking that we can put about 16 tires in the area so it
looks something like | || |.

This would work fine. Or - if you can afford it - you could
make raised beds out of lumber or cement blocks. You would
get a bit more planting area that way.

The only thing I know for sure right now
is that neither family is going to plant potatoes. We know a few other
families who plant excessive amounts of potatoes and think giving to
them to us is a GREAT idea. So, what is everyone else thinking about,
if anything?

Well, I packed the seeds in an airtight (I hope) container
and put it in the freezer.

Before that, though, I started some more seeds for our fall
(outdoors) garden - chard, lettuce, and mache. I already
have kale and Chinese cabbage that have been transplanted
outdoors. I started all these late - we had thought we were
moving (but we aren't). So they may or may not be
productive before real cold sets in. I'll cover them with
floating row cover and they'll probably do OK.

I also started seeds for my indoor 'winter' garden - this
will be on the big bay window ledge in the living room.
This is almost like a mini-greenhouse, it's a sticking-out
kind of window and consists of one huge window (8' x 6')
plus two regular sized windows at about 45 degree angles to
it. Gets lots of sunshine - from three directions.

For winter, I'll be growing indoors:

*my rosemary plant which spends summers outdoors and winters
indoors

* Spicey Globe Bush Basil - supposed to be a smaller basil

* Red Robin tomatoes - true miniature tomato, grows happily
in a six inch pot. I grew these indoors this summer and
they were surprisingly productive for such a little thing,
and the tomatoes had a great taste

* Yellow Canary tomatoes - another miniature, but
yellow-fruited

* Micro-tina tomatoes - yet another miniature. I got these
seeds from the developer, Utah State University. I don't
think they've been commercially released yet.

* Mini-bell peppers - supposed to be a very small bell
pepper

* Tom Thumb lettuce - small heads of Boston bibb-type
lettuce

* Succession plantings of cilantro

I don't expect the indoor garden to make a really
significant contribution to our food supply - it's just for
fun, and to see how all the 'mini veggies' do for me indoors
in winter. I hope to sell seedlings of these at the farmers
market next year.

We hope to be building our hoophouse in October - we hadn't
started it yet because we thought we were moving. I really
need it available by early next spring.

And I hope to get the main garden weeded and cleaned up
before the real cold weather.

You'll notice there are a lot of repetitions of the word
'hope' in the above... in reality, it seems we never catch
up with everything, but these are the things I hope to get
done this fall.

Pat
Old 17-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Heather Husvar

wrote:

Our yard retains a lot of water
so I'm going to plan on container gardening. I'm almost certain we're
going to try using tired like Pat. We have a great spot that is never
used because it's behind the garage and off to one side and all the way
at the back of the yard so it's basically "perfect". We're going to
pick up some pea gravel to put in between the tires for the "aisles".

The gravel would be really nice - the aisles in our garden
get really muddy. We have heavy clay here, and it stays
muddy for a LONG time whenever it rains.

If I can ever afford gravel, I'll do that too.

Well, a ton of pea gravel here is 10 dollars. It's kind of a luxury
item that I have stashed away some change for. I hid it so we don't
spend it on anything else. It may not be a luxurious thick path of
gravel but it'll help with the sog.

I'm thinking that this method will work well for me as I had a lot of
trouble traveling to my IL's house and then weeding, especially when I
hurt my back this year and then followed it up with some horrible tummy
bug. I am thinking that we can put about 16 tires in the area so it
looks something like | || |.

This would work fine. Or - if you can afford it - you could
make raised beds out of lumber or cement blocks. You would
get a bit more planting area that way.

No, we can't afford it, but in our area there are a LOT of tire stores
who will be HAPPY to give us tires for free.

[...]

*trimmed of the amazing stuff Pat has done to prepare for winter*

You'll notice there are a lot of repetitions of the word
'hope' in the above... in reality, it seems we never catch
up with everything, but these are the things I hope to get
done this fall.

Pat

Well, your "hope" is pretty awesome. I'm continually amazed by all you
do.

Heather H.
Old 17-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:43:31 GMT, Heather Husvar
wrote:

Well, a ton of pea gravel here is 10 dollars. It's kind of a luxury
item that I have stashed away some change for. I hid it so we don't
spend it on anything else. It may not be a luxurious thick path of
gravel but it'll help with the sog.

Thanks, I'm going to investigate that. I'll call the local
ummm... I don't know what you call them...they sell sand,
coal, cement blocks, gravel etc. Anyway, I'll call them.
I'd love to have the paths graveled for next year.

No, we can't afford it, but in our area there are a LOT of tire stores
who will be HAPPY to give us tires for free.

That's how we got ours. Better yet, we found one tire store
here that will give us tires WITH THE SIDEWALLS ALREADY CUT
OUT. They sell the sidewalls to 'farmers' who do ...
something ??? .... with them.

I wrote a report on my tire gardening experience this year,
and it's on the web he

http://www.meadows.pair.com/tiregarden.html

You might be interested in reading it, it's very specific to
tire-gardening, as such.

It will be on the web for another week only, then I'll take
it down, polish it up, rewrite, edit and try to sell it
somewhere.

Good luck with your plans!

Pat

Old 17-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Barbara Foss

Pat and Heather. We have a sq ft garden. Have been working on it for 5
yrs. First we used gravel in the walk ways. Be sure the stones are not
to big. Ours were and caused some turned ankles and near falls. (we are
old guys--72 and 73) Took them up and put down plastic and covered that
with hay. Daughter gave it to us after Thanksgiving. Part of her
decorations at her store. We are retired and have to watch the pennies
carefully. We live in South Georgia and can work our garden all year.
Really helps with our budget and provides healthy fresh produce for us.
My Fall carrots were up this AM. Looking forward to the spinach .
Barbatra

Old 18-09-2003, 08:22 AM
J. Lane

Hi Pat, Heather and Barbara,
Despite the drought we had this year, I still have a pretty good crop of
tomatoes and peppers as well as some amazingly large Butternut squash and
tons of carrots ( I overplanted as usual). For some reason my beets hardly
germinated, and the four rows I planted only produced one 20' row. I added
manure, compost, shredded leaves and all the leavings from my rabbits cages
to the garden this year and, because I was working at the time, I had the
garden ( 50' x 20' ) rototilled. It seems to have made a real difference in
the produce. The crop was better and the soil held the moisture long enough
to get it through two days of no watering. My city has watering restrictions
that go into effect every June and lasts till September 1st.
Next year I plan on using the greenhouse I'm currently building.I found that
I can't get enough sunlight in my house to germinate and grow anything.
Actually, things germinate fine but become leggy and fall over then die.
Most of what I'll grow in the greenhouse will be flowers ( to convert 1/2 an
acre of lawn into flower beds) but I want to try growing my own tomato and
peppers from seed. I usually buy the plants. Haven't made up my mind yet
about the types. Sorry, this was a longer post than I planned.
--
Jayel,
Baji-Naji