Old 18-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Theo Asir

Default miniture roses

pretty much can't survive indoors though. A compromise would be
if you have an outdoor deck or patio. Make sure they spend a lot of
time on the patio.

Its hard to grow roses indoors for extended periods
but its not impossible. I understand where you are coming from
dave but it can be done. I grow several indoors.

There are even some advantages
-less disease
-year round flowering
-more control on conditions.

I will warn you that it is not a low
maintenance occupation

First you must bone up on all the deficiencies & diseases
(particularly spider mites) roses can suffer indoors.

Second variety selection is very important.
I recommend getting some of those
ornamental roses in grocery stores.
Nursery miniatures tend to behave more
like garden plants and don't bloom well.

Third find a west facing window or North facing
window where the rose will get year round
'direct SUN' year round with heat. This is absolutely critical.
Grow lights are no substitute. Roses need sun heat.

Collect Rose insecticides for battling infestations.
Get some mild pelletized fertilizer like vigoro. Never
ever use any miracle gro or other strong ferts.
Must apply slow release pellets every 2 months or so.
Get iron & other micro nutrient formulations.

Change pot soil every year.
Don't try to make the rose go dormant.
Every 3-4 years the rose will start
under performing when it must be replaced.

This is just some advice.
You must check the plant every day.
Diseases & dificiencies must be dealt
with the same day.