Old 19-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Joe

Default protection for rugosas and canadians?

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
You did not mention how they have been kept since your purchase.

I presume they have been in containers. If so the root system is probably
wraping around the inside of the container and will most likely continue

grow in that pattern unless you 'stress' the root system to get it to
develop new roots. Before planting make 3 or 4 vertical cuts with a

utility
knife to sever the outer layer of the root system. This will encourage

the
root system to grow new roots in an outward pattern.

The roses should be buried with the crown 3" below the soil and heavily
mulched. Using a liquid root stimulator will promote root growth during

the
dormant period of winter.

Tim

Here in Zone 3A I have all the roses you mention. While I agree with the
mulching, pull it away in the spring to improve that all-important air
circulation.

Do you get snow? If you have access to clean snow, without road salt or
dessicants, use that. I do. Snow is really the best winter mulch you'll
ever find (as well as encouraging nitrogen absorption), and it's free!

The Therese Bugnet though you don't need to fuss with-it's the toughest rose
in the universe. Mine is the only one of the bunch that gets no tip kill at
all, leafs out the earliest, and flowers earliest.