Old 19-09-2003, 06:12 PM
mhagen

Default Federal 'roadless' policy officially ends

Josh Halpern wrote:

mhagen wrote:

Larry Caldwell wrote:

(Joe Zorzin) writes:

Could somebody translate Jamie's message into English that we can all
understand? G

But, with the usual brilliance and foresight of the Circus, they've
sent out some poor timber tech to inventory the area after they've
pulled the roads, just to know what they don't have. But they might
get it back with a slight change of the political breeze. Been there
myself.

Just to add insult to injury, the Feds never really figured out that
they can replace low level forest inventories with satellite info and
a good GIS operator.

Knowing people who are doing this, let me say it is not so simple, and it
requires funding of positions which don't exist.

josh halpern

same here. Of course it's not easy for anything other than plantation
grown trees and open forest. it's a highly skilled task. however land
classification based on remote sensing has been done with pretty fair
accuracy for many years.