Old 28-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Jay on Capitol Hill

Default climbing iceberg

Hi Jan -
I'm in DC now, Zone 7, but had it (Don Juan) in Chicago a few years ago. We
lived right next to Lake Michigan on the way N. Side. I put it in and it
grew about 5 or 6 feet the first year, beautiful blooms. Had it's first
winter (I NEVER covered it) It froze off a few feet of the top canes. I
pruned out the dead wood and it came right back. I would suggest "Dublin
Bay", too. Where are you located? Nevermind! I see you're in the
Berkshires.....Try "Dublin Bay" or look up "Cadenza" - It is a cross between
"New Dawn" and "Climbing Embers". Climbing Embers is a "sport" of the
floribund "Embers"
This is a beautiful dark red climber, extremely healthy and it is hardy from
the cold. Should have VERY minimal die-back if any. "Dortmund" is a neat
single red with a white eye. It is pretty much bullit-proof, I brought one
here to DC from Chicago 3 years ago. Planted it in my neighbors yard and it
is a monster now. It even stayed Blackspot FREE in the heat and humidity of
Washington DC. Hope this was helpful - Jay
P.S. - Chamblees has "Cadenza" - I just received FOUR more in the mail a few
weeks ago. Wow, they have great plants, too.
Jay
Zone 7 - Sunset 32
Capitol Hill
Washington DC
Has anyone had experience with "Climbing Iceberg" or "Don Juan." My
daughter wants red & white climbers for her new home, and we're sort of
gravitating to these. Thanks,

Jan