Old 19-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default come on- bloom, will ya'? phal's and dend's....

Keith,

Whether one cuts back the spike all the way or just enough to encourage new
blooms is to some extent a matter of preference. But I must add a caveat:
At some point the plant must have time to rejuvenate. Second blooming
induced on a spike is usually not as floriferous as the first blooms, and
forcing can reduce the probability that flowering during the next normal
bloom season will be of highest quality.

Finally, examine the plant before you make that decision. If the plant is
vigorous and even producing a new leaf then it may be able to withstand the
forcing. If it is looking droopy or in any way stressed, I wouldn't take
the chance.

Of course, anyone fairly new to orchids is anxious to see as many flowers as
possible. We've all done it!

Diana