Old 28-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Bob Bauer

Default 30 Roses To Start A Garden With

I get asked the question every once in a while "If you were to start
over again, which roses would you put into your first new rose
garden?"

Here is my list of 30 modern rose 'Must Haves' for any rose collector:

HYBRID TEAS:
'Veteran's Honor' - Best red in my opinion. Can't say enough about it.
Will become a classic. Continuous blooming.

'Peace' - Everybody must have a 'Peace'. It is the law. Best selling
rose of all time and space.

'Brigadoon' - Extremely beautiful regularly occurring blooms on a
troublefree bush.

'Frederic Mistral' - Always extremely fragrant blooms in quantity on a
LARGE bush.

'Fragrant Cloud' - One of the great all time classics - great smeller.

'St. Patrick' - The longest lasting rose in the garden (yellow).

'Stainless Steel '- The best of the fragrant light mauve roses by far.

'Double Delight'- It is not the second best selling rose in the world
for nothing.

'Henry Fonda' - The best bright yellow rose in my garden. Blooms last
a long time.

'Dainty Bess' - Pink Single HT with purple stamens. Continuous
bloomer on an upright plant That doesn't take up too much room.

FLORIBUNDAS:
'Gruss An Aachen - the first floribunda and still one of the best

'Iceberg '- Non stop blooming white.

'Playboy' - Everblooming Orange and red single.

'Amber Queen' - The classic yellow/gold floribunda. Older, but still
great today.

'Betty Boop'- Continuous blooming. And that is no lie.

'Blueberry Hill'- Low and spreading, great open mauve blooms

'Tabris' - Much better than 'Nicole' white with dark pink edges.

'Summer Fashion '- Beautiful and fragrant. Blooms a lot.

'Little Darling' - Small beautiful blooms in profusion on a very
vigorous bush.

'Shocking Blue' - best fragrant mauve in my opinion. Puts 'Angel
Face' to shame.

'Fashion' - A classic oldie but a goodie. Scalloped petal edges. Pink
with white reverse. I like this one more every year.

'Circus' - A classic. A big player in rose history. And beautiful to
boot.

GRANDIFLORA and SHRUBS:
Fame - What an amazing show. It will draw you in from anywhere in the
garden.

'Gold Medal' - One of the all time great golden roses.

'Yves Piaget' - Huge unique mauve pink balls of bloom. And fragrant
to boot.
'
'Graham Thomas' - If you only plant one Austin, this should be it.

'Sonia' - The rose that made Meilland rich. The greatest florist rose
to garden rose crossover.

'Carefree Delight'- Really really stupid name on an everblooming
vigorous pink single.

'Flower Girl'- The effect of hundreds of butterflies on a bush. Big
clusters.

'Sally Holmes' - Nice, nice and nice. Vigorous and a bloom machine.

I love making these kinds of lists, it helps me put things in
perspective.

What is on your list?????

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City