Old 21-09-2003, 06:42 PM
marika

Default protection for rugosas and canadians?

"mmarteen" wrote in message ...

Good point. Last winter we got virtually no snow, none before we had wicked
temps in -30 F range. I guess I will watch the temps and the snow and add
mulch if temps drop again with no snow.

The Therese Bugnet though you don't need to fuss with-it's the toughest

rose
in the universe. Mine is the only one of the bunch that gets no tip kill

at
all, leafs out the earliest, and flowers earliest.

Great! That is what I was looking for.

i found this when I
decided to plant a garden at our house in calgary.

also I dug out bushels of lilly bulbs and gave them to everyone who would take
them including the mailman! They had grown into a solid mass about two foot
deep and 4 foot wide. The interesting thing is after I dug them all out and
planted my garden I still had a the same number of day lillies and they
were prettier than ever. I guess they were so packed together they couldn't
bloom except on the edges, where I left them. I did the same thng with the
Hostas. They were huge round lumps and I hacked them to bits and kept only
a tiny hunk for my self. Again the neighborhood gardeners got bushels.
They grew up prettier than before. Some plants like abuse!

I will be careful though to not damage anything non weedy. You just have
this blank sunny spot that is so tempting. I could see it in sweet corn.
It may not do much this year, there is so much Sumac. I swear it poisions
the soil. I will dig up as many roots as possible and put down some soil
building humus/manure, and plant some seeds and see what it does. We have
had some of the nicest wet weather, I hope it lasts another month.

i also found a Hawthorn. I was wondering what it
was, I didn't recognise the bush. I don't think I ever saw one before.

I only stomp out known weeds. g

Thanks for letting me mess in your yard.

mk5000

"Left click once, scroll down, shift, left click again,
delete key! Gotta love it!"--
jeran