Old 21-09-2003, 07:42 PM
DavesVideo

Default Isabel

Dave said:

Unfortunately 24" isn't large enough to interest a mill... it would yield
very little heartwood after rough milling. This doesn't preclude a home
woodworking enthusiast from using it,

Then times sure have changed. My father ran a lumber mill and we cut mostly
maple, oak and cherry. Most logs were fron 24" to 36" but sometimes a good
straight piece that was less than 24". I believe that we sawed then as small as
18" and many times the smaller ones had more firm centers than the old and
large ones.
Anyhow, I will see if I can find anyone interested in my downed black
walnut. For years I have heard stories that a black walnut is very valuable and
an equal nuumber about not being able to find anyone willing to remove it for
the lumber.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave