Old 22-09-2003, 05:03 AM
ellipsis

Default Mulch

In article , Wanda
wrote:

I stopped at a local soil/mulch place this afternoon to look at the prices
of mulch. There were a couple of different types that I liked, one called
Jungle Mulch & another called Black Mulch. There was a young guy serving who
didn't really know his stuff & my questions were responded to with blank
looks. So... does anyone here know if either of these two blow away with a
bit of wind? Also, how much would a trailer load cover? Is anyone here in
Perth & can recommend a good place to buy mulch? The place I stopped at was
called Soils Aint Soils, the trailer load of mulch cost $39 with $30
delivery (!!). Maybe I should hire a ute...

I don't remember if it was the "black mulch" that I put around here,
but it sounds familiar. The stuff was useless. It looked great, but was
mostly shredded bark that had been artificially coloured. It just
matted together and became water repellent. I'd keep well away from it.

On the other hand, have you had a look at http://www.mulchnet.com ? It
is actually based in W.A. and advertises sources of free mulch, manure
and the like. Results seem to vary, some people have registered and
received nothing, but my parents put their names down for free mulch
from their local council (Nedlands in their case) and within a couple
of weeks had a truckload of chipped and shredded tree prunings
delivered to their house. I kid you not, it was about a metre and a
half in height and took up half their front verge. They got some bags
of horse manure and built a couple of huge compost piles, but the mulch
itself did all of their house, all of mine, and was used by many of the
people in their street. A great way of getting to know your neighbours.