Old 22-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Default preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:48:57 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

(Follow-ups trimmed to rec.gardens.edible)

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost? I feel like it could come at any time...
is there any kind of hotline?

Your local weather forecast should give you a warning. I
use:

http://www.wunderground.com

Short of covering your tomato plants at night (usually not
practical), you can pick all the green tomatoes and bring
them in the house.

Any that show the slightest bit of ripening should ripen in
the house (for the most part - a few will probably go
rotten). I spread mine out in a single layer - as many as I
have room for.

Those that are totally green can be used to make green
tomato relish, or as a substitute for tomatillos in salsa
verde, or fried green tomatoes.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the obvious word,