Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
J. Del Col

Default preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message news:Jiubb.545475$uu5.90682@sccrnsc04...
Hello:

I've been pulling a few pounds per week of tomatoes off of my plants. This
is my second year growing. Last year, I didn't make any preparations for the
first frost, and I ended up yanking green tomatoes off the vine in the
middle of a snowstorm. They were frozen, and ruined, by the time I got them
inside.

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost?

Pick them before it frosts, maybe now if they are big enough.
Listen to NOAA radio or the Weather Channel, and act accordingly.

Anything elaborate to protect them against frost probably won't do much
to increase yield, at least not enough to justify the effort and time involved,
and you run the risk of losing them all if it gets colder than you thought it would.

J. Del Col