Old 22-09-2003, 07:02 PM
John

Default Suggestion for small tree with purple or red foliage?

Hi,

Just lost a flowering plum tree thanks to hurricane Isabel in north
central Maryland. I would like to replace it with a small tree that
has purple or red foliage throughout the year until it drops its
leaves in fall or when it goes dormant.

In the very little research I've done, the Crimson King (King Crimson)
maple tree has the right color but is too large and would overwhelm
the area as it matures. A red Japanese maple (dwarf) might be an
alternative, but I understand it too has relatively shallow roots and
grows slowly, and is not very wind tolerant.

Granted, hurricanes are not prevalent in central Maryland, but my area
gets strong winds during summer thunderstorms, etc.

Any suggestions?