Old 23-09-2003, 06:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Pond chemicals

I also use baking soda but I'm curious since I read so much that says
the plants like it neutral (and everything also says the fish like it
above 8). I'd think plants in dirt wouldn't care as much but plants in
pea gravel would. Unfortunately it's starting to get a bit late in the
season to experiment.

Matt

Most plants, there are exceptions, will thrive in 6.0 to 8.5.* Around 8.5
is when one might have trouble with suspended algae because most plants
don't take up Phosphorus as readily and SA loves phosphorus. After 8.5 some
may lose their dark green color as Iron, Managnese, copper & zinc are
harder to take up. Otherwise 6.0 - 8.0 are excellent for plants. Soil or
gravel media doesn't matter as the water will eventually change the pH of
the soil.

*(I'm reading off a chart from Chapter 3 - Soils and Soil Amendments - 16
Figure 5. Soil pH and Nutrient Availability. The chart is titled: How Soil
(or water) pH Affects Availability of Plant Nutrients.) If someone wants to
do a search on the web? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~