Old 16-09-2003, 10:42 PM
TomH

Default Pond chemicals

What chemicals do you use for raising/lowering and buffering
the PH in the pond. Do you buy the stuff sold in the shops for
that purpose or are there cheaper equivalent products that you
can use?

-Tom

Old 16-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Nedra

I have to constantly add to the KH (which also impacts the pH)
to keep the pond buffered.

I add 1 cup of baking soda (the Arm & Hammer stuff)
per 1,000 gallons of water once a week. This keeps
the pH at 8.4 - perfect for the Koi and Goldfish.

Nedra

Old 16-09-2003, 11:03 PM
MattR

perfect for the fish but what about the plants? Some plants want it
closer to neutral, at least that's what I've read. What does plaster of
paris keep the ph at?

Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Nedra

Matt, I really can't complain about the plants. I have 3 survivor
lilies that have bloomed profusely all summer long. Also
pickeral ....

Don't know about plaster of paris. To me, the baking
soda is cheap and effective.

Nedra

Old 17-09-2003, 04:05 PM
MattR

My lilies do great, too. But they're in dirt.

I also use baking soda but I'm curious since I read so much that says
the plants like it neutral (and everything also says the fish like it
above 8). I'd think plants in dirt wouldn't care as much but plants in
pea gravel would. Unfortunately it's starting to get a bit late in the
season to experiment.

Matt

Old 23-09-2003, 06:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I also use baking soda but I'm curious since I read so much that says
the plants like it neutral (and everything also says the fish like it
above 8). I'd think plants in dirt wouldn't care as much but plants in
pea gravel would. Unfortunately it's starting to get a bit late in the
season to experiment.

Matt

Most plants, there are exceptions, will thrive in 6.0 to 8.5.* Around 8.5
is when one might have trouble with suspended algae because most plants
don't take up Phosphorus as readily and SA loves phosphorus. After 8.5 some
may lose their dark green color as Iron, Managnese, copper & zinc are
harder to take up. Otherwise 6.0 - 8.0 are excellent for plants. Soil or
gravel media doesn't matter as the water will eventually change the pH of
the soil.

*(I'm reading off a chart from Chapter 3 - Soils and Soil Amendments - 16
Figure 5. Soil pH and Nutrient Availability. The chart is titled: How Soil
(or water) pH Affects Availability of Plant Nutrients.) If someone wants to
do a search on the web? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Chemicals in Pond jacksf Ponds (alternative) 5 05-12-2003 02:08 PM
slightly ot, was chemicals David J Bockman Gardening 6 11-08-2003 09:42 AM
"Chemicals" Frogleg Gardening 23 10-08-2003 01:22 AM
Need brand names of chemicals DVardner Orchids 11 02-05-2003 04:44 PM
CO2 and other chemicals question. Sudheertivare Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:08 AM