Old 23-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default plane tree

(Babberney) wrote:

"Ken Smith" wrote:
Could anyone please advise a place where I can buy a plane tree (Platinus X
acerifolia) in the US? Any help would be much appreciated!

you may be having trouble because in TX you'll hear it called
Sycamore. If you actually want the specific tree called plane tree in
Britain (and elsewhere?) I don't know how to help.

London Planetree = Platanus x acerifolia
American Sycamore = Platanus occidentalis

Unfortunately the American Sycamore is very susceptible to anthracnose,
a fungal disease.

A preferred variety that is fairly disease resistant is Platanus x
acerifolia "Bloodgood"

some sources a

http://www.pickettsnurseries.com/shadetrees.html

http://youngsnurseries.com/acatalog/...atanus_x_aceri
folia_247.html

http://www.meadow-lake.com/shop/prod...T&pf_id=TPLACB

http://www.louisiananursery.com/Tree...20Cat%20P1.htm

http://www.willamettenurseries.com/F...oodCuttings.ht
ml

http://www.craintreefarm.com/Shadetrees.htm

http://www.femrite.com/avail/numsearch.mv?4815

http://www.readscreeknursery.com/lists/trees.shtml

http://www.waterloogardens.com/care_..._clay_soil.htm

The last nursery is the only one I am familiar with, and it is a retail
nursery near Philadelphia.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman