Old 21-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Ken Smith

Default plane tree

Could anyone please advise a place where I can buy a plane tree (Platinus X
acerifolia) in the US? Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

Old 21-09-2003, 01:22 AM
David J Bockman

Presuming you're in an acceptable Hardiness Zone for this tree, and decent
nursery or garden center should have them.

Please note that the hort industry is becoming increasingly alarmed by
widespread development of Cankerstain in Platanus a.

Dave

Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Ken Smith

Thank you for the advice. I am in Zone 7 - Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex. As
long as we are above 0F (way above that any time of year here) do you think
we're ok against cankerstain? Thanks again for any advice.

Sincerely,
Adam

Old 23-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Babberney

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:01:03 -0600, "Ken Smith"
wrote:

Could anyone please advise a place where I can buy a plane tree (Platinus X
acerifolia) in the US? Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

you may be having trouble because in TX you'll hear it called
Sycamore. If you actually want the specific tree called plane tree in
Britain (and elsewhere?) I don't know how to help.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 23-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(Babberney) wrote:

"Ken Smith" wrote:
Could anyone please advise a place where I can buy a plane tree (Platinus X
acerifolia) in the US? Any help would be much appreciated!

you may be having trouble because in TX you'll hear it called
Sycamore. If you actually want the specific tree called plane tree in
Britain (and elsewhere?) I don't know how to help.

London Planetree = Platanus x acerifolia
American Sycamore = Platanus occidentalis

Unfortunately the American Sycamore is very susceptible to anthracnose,
a fungal disease.

A preferred variety that is fairly disease resistant is Platanus x
acerifolia "Bloodgood"

some sources a

http://www.pickettsnurseries.com/shadetrees.html

http://youngsnurseries.com/acatalog/...atanus_x_aceri
folia_247.html

http://www.meadow-lake.com/shop/prod...T&pf_id=TPLACB

http://www.louisiananursery.com/Tree...20Cat%20P1.htm

http://www.willamettenurseries.com/F...oodCuttings.ht
ml

http://www.craintreefarm.com/Shadetrees.htm

http://www.femrite.com/avail/numsearch.mv?4815

http://www.readscreeknursery.com/lists/trees.shtml

http://www.waterloogardens.com/care_..._clay_soil.htm

The last nursery is the only one I am familiar with, and it is a retail
nursery near Philadelphia.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 23-09-2003, 07:12 PM
J. Del Col

"Ken Smith" wrote in message ...
Could anyone please advise a place where I can buy a plane tree (Platinus X
acerifolia) in the US? Any help would be much appreciated!

Be aware that plane trees are very messy, dropping fruit and bark all around
them. Also, the wood is brittle; they drop twigs and branches quite readily.

IIRC, London has banned any further planting of them because of the litter
they produce.

The American sycamore, P. occidentalis, has the same bad features.

J. Del Col