Old 24-09-2003, 01:29 AM
CNB

Default Bahia grass & irrigation

Ken,

I'm not sure about your area, but here in SE GA bahiagrass is a much hated
weed. I can't imagine anyone intentionally planting it in their yard. I
wouldn't call it low maintenance, in fact I'd call it high maintenance,
since it sends up seed heads about 2ft tall every time it rains which are
tough for a mower to digest and look absolutely horrible if you let them go
more than a week without cutting. It also does not cover the ground in a
lush green carpet like St Augustine or Centipede would. It's considered sort
of a "default" grass, because it appears automatically unless you counteract
it with something else. I've had bahiagrass in my yard for 7 years, and I am
currently trying to allow for centipede to take it over. I've never
irrigated it at all. But of course to each his own, and I wish you good luck
with it if thats what you plant.

CNB

"Ken" kandh@comcastDOTnet wrote in message
I am building a home in SW Florida and have contracted with the
builder to have bahiagrass sodded. I initially thought it would be a
good idea to have an irrigation system installed as the lot is on a
canal and I can pump water from it at no cost. After speaking to
several sod suppliers, I'm not sure if spending $3k on the irrigation
system and pump is a wise decision. It seems that bahiagrass is
low-maintenance and doesn't require much water. Also, over watering
during the winter months can be promote weed growthl. Does anyone have
any experience with residential use of bahiagrass and/or irrigation of
th same?

Thanks!