Old 24-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Diane M.

Default Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas

Al, I 'm glad you wrote about this. I have a large bromeliad in the growing
room- no blooms at the moment, I just happen to have anything in bloom in
the living room, but am getting spikes on plants in tee same room.

"Al" wrote in message
I am under the impression that Bromeliads produce and may require ethylene
gas in the nutrient filled water cup in order to bloom well. I am also
under the impression that Phal buds do not like ethylene gas and will

blast
if too much of it is around them. I had a question in my email from a
person who mentioned they grow both of these together in a bay window as
part of a question about Phal bud blast.

Of course, there is a zillion reasons why Phals buds blast, but I am
wondering if there is anybody out there who grows and blooms both of these
plants together in close proximity who has noticed Phal bud blast as a
problem and connected it to their Bromeliads.