Old 24-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] idea for science fair

Hi all,

Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted.
I've deceided to do 3 project in one. That is I will
do leaf and internodes reduction, the chemical
reaction of lime-sulfur on deadwood, and I don't think
that I can do the leave burning thing now bc it is
nearing winter, but I was thinking of like how to
maximise growth patterns. For anyone that is out there
that judge science fair, please tell me what you think
of this idea.

I've judged my share of environmental science fairs, and have
found that simplest (as in not trying to do too much at once) is
best. It strikes me that leaf and internode reduction might be
tough this time of year, too, assuming you would be using photos
to support your thesis.

It would be nice if you could devise some simple tests to
determine how much rot protection lime sulfur provides. I
suspect the answer may be "very little," but would like the data
to back it up. I have no idea how you would do that in the time
frame allowed a science fair project, though.

Bonsai _may_ be one of the science fair projects that you will
have to get started _well_ before the announced beginning of the
fair.

The effects of pots and root pruning on the
dwarfing/miniaturization of trees grown as bonsai might be a good
one, since you could easily have plants of the same species
growing in various pots with more or less work done on the roots.
(You also could tie in you leaf-size/internode idea. Both,
however, would require at least ONE full growth cycle to do
properly -- and maybe more.)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++