Old 24-09-2003, 04:26 AM
luc tran

Default [IBC] idea for science fair

Hi all,

Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted.
I've deceided to do 3 project in one. That is I will
do leaf and internodes reduction, the chemical
reaction of lime-sulfur on deadwood, and I don't think
that I can do the leave burning thing now bc it is
nearing winter, but I was thinking of like how to
maximise growth patterns. For anyone that is out there
that judge science fair, please tell me what you think
of this idea.

Thanks,

Luc Tran

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Bart Thomas

Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted.
I've deceided to do 3 project in one. That is I will
do leaf and internodes reduction, the chemical
reaction of lime-sulfur on deadwood, and I don't think
that I can do the leave burning thing now bc it is
nearing winter, but I was thinking of like how to
maximise growth patterns. For anyone that is out there
that judge science fair, please tell me what you think
of this idea.

Thanks,

Luc Tran

Luc.

If you're thinking about growth maximization (How long do you have before
the fair happens?), I'd check out Michael Persiano's articles on
superfeeding. See:

http://hometown.aol.com/iasnob/superfeeding.html

Regards,

Bart

Old 24-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all,

Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted.
I've deceided to do 3 project in one. That is I will
do leaf and internodes reduction, the chemical
reaction of lime-sulfur on deadwood, and I don't think
that I can do the leave burning thing now bc it is
nearing winter, but I was thinking of like how to
maximise growth patterns. For anyone that is out there
that judge science fair, please tell me what you think
of this idea.

I've judged my share of environmental science fairs, and have
found that simplest (as in not trying to do too much at once) is
best. It strikes me that leaf and internode reduction might be
tough this time of year, too, assuming you would be using photos
to support your thesis.

It would be nice if you could devise some simple tests to
determine how much rot protection lime sulfur provides. I
suspect the answer may be "very little," but would like the data
to back it up. I have no idea how you would do that in the time
frame allowed a science fair project, though.

Bonsai _may_ be one of the science fair projects that you will
have to get started _well_ before the announced beginning of the
fair.

The effects of pots and root pruning on the
dwarfing/miniaturization of trees grown as bonsai might be a good
one, since you could easily have plants of the same species
growing in various pots with more or less work done on the roots.
(You also could tie in you leaf-size/internode idea. Both,
however, would require at least ONE full growth cycle to do
properly -- and maybe more.)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-09-2003, 03:22 PM
EESiFlo , North America

Here's one .... How about the effects of soil types on root growth/plant
health.

Demonstrate how good draining soil will promote healthy roots/trees whereas
poorly draining soil will cause root rot (experience speaking hear !!)leaf
loss etc.
Indicate how roots require water/air cycles to promote health.

Mark Hill

Old 24-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Alan Walker

Luc Tran: Jim is right that the simple hypothesis will lead to a better reception in
judging. If you want to do three projects, do three separate projects. Lack of
focus will lose points, while clear focus will add points.
Judges are looking for creativity, of course, but they also are looking for
evidence that the entrant understands the scientific method and how to apply it
practically.
I want to thank you for inspiring an idea. BCI (and many others) are
concerned that bonsai is so often considered "an old man's hobby." We're distressed
by the paucity of young members at all levels of bonsai organization, and we're
looking for ways to change that.
Thanks to your question, I intend to look into initiating a BCI Bonsai
Science Fair to be judged at our annual conventions. We will need to line up
sponsors and scholarships, develop rules and an application process. There would
need to be divisions based upon age and/or grade level to make it fair.
BCI has already been working on developing a merit badge for bonsai in the
Boy and Girl Scouts organizations. It occurs to me that the bonsai science fair
might make a good demonstration project to get the attention of the decision makers
of those organizations.
I would also like to invite the rest of you in the IBC to help us develop
this idea, so we can bring it into fruition. I have too many project on my plate to
juggle it all alone, but I've seen lots of great ideas come from this group in the
past. I will also bcc this to the rest of my BCI Board, so everyone is in on this
from the start.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Hi all,
Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted. I've decided to do 3
=====
Jim Lewis wrote:
[...]
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Old 24-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Melanie J Johnson

As a relative newbie (approximately 1.5 years) in bonsai and a definite
(till now) lurker on this list, I'd like to address this issue. The
concept presented by Luc and embraced by Jim on behalf of the IBC is a
wonderful one to promote bonsai. The suggestion presented here by Mark
provides an excellent opportunity to make a visual impact that will appeal
to science fair participants, judges, and audience alike. By sacrificing
one or two bonsai training pots, cutting the side or end off and replacing
it with a plexiglass face you could allow a beautiful view of the roots
and soil in all their complexity. The extent to which Luc chooses to
exaggerate either the health of the roots (using proper bonsai soils for
the plant used) or the root degradation (with improper soil type) is
completely dependant upon the time available for preparation.

I think that Nina's points pertaining to the aspects of a full scientific
study are quite true, but not entirely appropriate for this situation. A
science fair is NOT a professional scientific examination. It is a format
for the encouragement and engagement of young people in a more serious
approach to a subject. However, expecting that level of professionalism is
over-kill.

Melanie Johnson - - in beautiful East Tennessee

Old 24-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Henrik Gistvall

How about taking some cuttings and using different kinds of root
stimulants like Superthrive, spagnum moss and root hormones. I think we
all would find that interesting ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 24-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Jim Lewis

How about taking some cuttings and using different kinds of
root
stimulants like Superthrive, spagnum moss and root hormones. I

think we
all would find that interesting ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

HEADLINE:

SUPERTHRIVE CURES WARTS, TEEN DISCOVERS

Doesn't do a damned thing
for trees, he said.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 25-09-2003, 04:45 AM
Jay Sinclair

Luc Tran:

You have gotten good advice from a number of people. Keep your project simple &
focused, do your background research, and collect hard data of your own. This time of
year the lime-sulfur project might indeed be your best bet.

Alan:

The BCI Science Fair project is a great idea! It should be fairly broad in scope, so
that general horticultural research could qualify, but not so broad as to include
project of the "what happens if I deprive a plant of light?' category. One way of
promoting the concept would be to start by giving special BCI awards at state &
national Science Fairs for high quality projects related to horticulture. This would
cast a wider net than would be attracted to a bonsai convention. The winners could then
be invited to present their projects at the BCI convention.

Just a few thoughts.

Jay

-----
Whenever one comes to close grips with so-called idealism, as in war time, one is
shocked by its rascality.

H. L. Mencken

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Jay Sinclair

[...]

Gardening - Natural Science NOT rocket science.. greenproductshop.info Edible Gardening 0 18-03-2009 05:00 PM
help with science fair project please enigma Gardening 7 14-02-2008 12:40 AM
Science Fair Ideas [email protected] Gardening 0 02-01-2005 08:28 PM
[IBC] science fair luc tran Bonsai 4 24-09-2003 05:02 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] science fair Mark Hill Bonsai 7 24-09-2003 04:06 AM