Old 24-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] idea for science fair

Luc Tran: Jim is right that the simple hypothesis will lead to a better reception in
judging. If you want to do three projects, do three separate projects. Lack of
focus will lose points, while clear focus will add points.
Judges are looking for creativity, of course, but they also are looking for
evidence that the entrant understands the scientific method and how to apply it
practically.
I want to thank you for inspiring an idea. BCI (and many others) are
concerned that bonsai is so often considered "an old man's hobby." We're distressed
by the paucity of young members at all levels of bonsai organization, and we're
looking for ways to change that.
Thanks to your question, I intend to look into initiating a BCI Bonsai
Science Fair to be judged at our annual conventions. We will need to line up
sponsors and scholarships, develop rules and an application process. There would
need to be divisions based upon age and/or grade level to make it fair.
BCI has already been working on developing a merit badge for bonsai in the
Boy and Girl Scouts organizations. It occurs to me that the bonsai science fair
might make a good demonstration project to get the attention of the decision makers
of those organizations.
I would also like to invite the rest of you in the IBC to help us develop
this idea, so we can bring it into fruition. I have too many project on my plate to
juggle it all alone, but I've seen lots of great ideas come from this group in the
past. I will also bcc this to the rest of my BCI Board, so everyone is in on this
from the start.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Hi all,
Thanks for answering to the requested that I posted. I've decided to do 3
project in one. That is I will do leaf and internodes reduction, the chemical
reaction of lime-sulfur on deadwood, and I don't think that I can do the leave
burning thing now bc it is nearing winter, but I was thinking of like how to
maximise growth patterns. For anyone that is out there that judge science fair,
please tell me what you think of this idea.
=====
Jim Lewis wrote:
I've judged my share of environmental science fairs, and have found that
simplest (as in not trying to do too much at once) is best. It strikes me that leaf
and internode reduction might be tough this time of year, too, assuming you would be
using photos to support your thesis.
It would be nice if you could devise some simple tests to determine how much
rot protection lime sulfur provides. I suspect the answer may be "very little," but
would like the data to back it up. I have no idea how you would do that in the time
frame allowed a science fair project, though.
Bonsai _may_ be one of the science fair projects that you will have to get
started _well_ before the announced beginning of the fair.
The effects of pots and root pruning on the dwarfing/miniaturization of
trees grown as bonsai might be a good one, since you could easily have plants of the
same species growing in various pots with more or less work done on the roots. (You
also could tie in you leaf-size/internode idea. Both,
however, would require at least ONE full growth cycle to do properly -- and maybe
more.)
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++