Old 24-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Melanie J Johnson

Default [IBC] idea for science fair

As a relative newbie (approximately 1.5 years) in bonsai and a definite
(till now) lurker on this list, I'd like to address this issue. The
concept presented by Luc and embraced by Jim on behalf of the IBC is a
wonderful one to promote bonsai. The suggestion presented here by Mark
provides an excellent opportunity to make a visual impact that will appeal
to science fair participants, judges, and audience alike. By sacrificing
one or two bonsai training pots, cutting the side or end off and replacing
it with a plexiglass face you could allow a beautiful view of the roots
and soil in all their complexity. The extent to which Luc chooses to
exaggerate either the health of the roots (using proper bonsai soils for
the plant used) or the root degradation (with improper soil type) is
completely dependant upon the time available for preparation.

I think that Nina's points pertaining to the aspects of a full scientific
study are quite true, but not entirely appropriate for this situation. A
science fair is NOT a professional scientific examination. It is a format
for the encouragement and engagement of young people in a more serious
approach to a subject. However, expecting that level of professionalism is
over-kill.

Melanie Johnson - - in beautiful East Tennessee

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++