Old 29-01-2003, 12:32 AM
saki

Default Picked up 11 roses today

(Suzanne in CA) wrote in
om:

elfa wrote in message
The property manager for a rental in my neighborhood is
having all the roses dug up and removed. She told me I
could have any that I wanted.

I took 11 of them. Unfortunately, they had been pruned and had
no flowers to indicate variety or color. They seem to be
minatures as they have small leaves.

Should be in for some surprises this spring.

elfa

What a blast! Let us know who they are : )please : ) it's fun to
rejoice together in freeebies : )

Absolutely! In my garden I discovered two "free" infants this past
weekend, growing a few inches away from the base of Scentimental. At
first I thought they might be seedlings or cuttings that had somehow
rooted themselves but it appears they were volunteering from
Scentimental's rootstock. I potted up both of them and have been told
they're likely Dr. Huey, which is fine with me; I already have a full-
sized one that blooms beautifully in spring and two more are most
welcome.

As an experiment I've been seeing how many months can go by before I buy
more roses...just to test whether I have any self-control left at all. I
bought none in November; none in December; and have so far gotten through
most of January with nary a farthing spent on roses. Okay, I had to buy
some five-gallon cans in December to pot up my one-gallon cuttings, but
that doesn't count, does it?

Now that I've proven I can regulate my spending, it's time to let loose
with a small let's-see-how-the-water-feels order. From Ashdown so far:
Secret Garden Musk Climber (whose fragrance is said to be outstanding as
is its ability to bloom in lower-light circumstances), Lady Ann Kidwell
(recommended as a good polyantha that has a tea shape and fragrance),
Mary Washington (which will be my first Noisette), and Niles Cochet (a
lovely tea which looked nifty at Descanso Gardens in So Cal last month so
I'll gve it a try).

I happened to read an article where The Edwardian Lady was featured and
now think I ought to get that one as well. And recommendations for it?

----