Old 25-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Need Vertical Gardening Ideas (was: Stake or no stake tomato)

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

About mid-season, I sent away to Pinetree for some netting--- sturdy
netting with holes large enough to put your hand thru in order to pick
stuff. But my husband, as clever and handy as he is, was unable to come
up with a way to use it. He tried wrapping the tripods with it but that
did not work at all. Personally, I think we need horizontals at a
height of at least 6 feet (for the beans anyway) from which to suspend
the netting but I have no idea how to reliably anchor the netting at the
bottom. We'd need something pretty demountable for storage purposes---
though bamboo does not rot, does it? If we made tall bamboo frames, I
suppose we could store them under the deck if neither the netting nor
the bamboo would rot. I am just dying to know how other people do this.

If you are willing to invest some money, a frame can be made of threaded
pipe (the kind that is used for natural gas). You need two elbows, two 'tees' and
a coupler, plus two 6' uprights, one cross-bar the width that you want the frame
to be, two crossbars each about half that width, and two 'legs' about 2-1/2
feet long. All pieces must be threaded at both ends, except the 'leg' pieces which
are threaded on one end only. Also get some plastic piping which is big enough
in diameter to fit the pipe into. Cut that into 2-3/4 foot lengths.

The pieces are put together in rectangular panel using the elbows at the top
and the tees and coupler at the bottom. The 'legs' are then threaded into the
tees.

Put the plastic pipe into the ground at the proper spacing and drop into them.
The way I do this is to pound some closed-end pipe of about the same diameter
into the ground using an 8 pound sledge hammer.

This results in a very sturdy frame which can be taken down at the end of the
season. It won't rot, or blow over, or bend.

Lighter and more temporary frames can be made with electrical conduit and
fittings constructed in roughly the same form and dropped into pipe in the
ground. These are usually sturdy enough for peas but the thinner pipe can
be bent and the frames collapsed if you've got a thick growth of beans and
a strong storm blowing across them.

These frames can be wired with tomato-cage wire (permanently) or threaded
each year with jute twine, which allows you to cut down the vines and support
and compost the whole shebang.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI ('someplace.net' is 'comcast')

(attributed to Don Marti)