Old 25-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default Granada, bare root vs potted, and DD

In Kirra wrote:
I'm getting more disappointed that mine died! A collegue at work
brings a selection of her roses in each week and we stand around
discussing them. Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that
I have seen one "live and in person". Those colours and that fragrance
just rubbed it in that Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant
I see one for sale, I am buying it!

Oh dear... I won't rub in the fact that my Granada is the first of my
HTs to bloom, with a flush of 9 lovely fat buds all opening up...

Where nature decided we only needed one week of spring this year
before bringing on summer. The last two weeks have seen most days in
the high 20s to high 30s (82.4F to 96.8F)!

This week in Sydney has been close to 30 C each day. My poor newly
planted teas are sulky and may die on me. It was way too ambitious to
get bare roots in Spring. I shouldn't have leaned on poor Dr McLeod at
his heritage Honeysuckle Cottage nursery to send me some. Triomphe du
Luxembourg and Souvenir d'un Ami were just too good not to try. Each
morning I gently mist them with a seaweed solution spray in the hope
they live...

In contrast, Ferdinand Pichard (the hybrid perpetual I got along with
those teas) is sprouting new canes up from every pore! That bush looks
like the equivalent of a loaded gun.