Old 25-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Kirra

Default Granada, bare root vs potted, and DD

Back to roses, my Granada is blooming. I had thought the blooms this
summer weer beautiful, but these are incredible. It's like watching a
tropical sunset. I am so glad that Shiva's talk about how gorgeous this
rose is made me decide that I must have one!

I'm getting more disappointed that mine died! A collegue at work brings a
selection of her roses in each week and we stand around discussing them.
Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that I have seen one "live
and in person". Those colours and that fragrance just rubbed it in that
Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant I see one for sale, I am
buying it!

Also, interesting enough, one Double Delight is blooming up a storm and
the other appears to be pouting. The one that is going gang busters is
a bare root that I bought directly from J&P. The other is a potted J&P
that I bought at Lowes on a whim. (I know it's a DD as it had blloms on
it when I bought it and has bloomed since.) The Lowes rose was also
twice the size of the bare root when I put the Lowes in the ground.
However, the bare root now makes the Lowes look like a shrimp. Near
identical conditions for the two roses so it's just "interesting" right

now.

I was always a little scared of buying bare root roses when I started (last
year) and bought all cheapie potted roses from the local hardware store.
This year I was a little more game and bought some cheapie, potted roses;
some expensive, freshly potted, bare root roses; and some mail order, bare
root roses. The cheapie potted have mostly done OK to not done much (3
months old); the expensive, freshly potted, bare root roses (2 months old)
have all done reasonably well to very well; while the mail order, bare root
roses (1 month old) are just outperforming any of my expectations. Obviously
they are smaller at this stage because they are younger, but they have lots
of growth up to 6 inches long, with some already forming buds - I just did
not expect it this quickly from bare root roses. I think next year the
majority of new roses will be mail order, bare root.

As to DD, the one in my front yard had done nothing throughout winter except
have successive canes start dieing back to the point that most canes are now
only 4 inches long! I was starting to get concerned that it was eventually
going to just die back completely. However this morning when I went out, I
noticed that it has several new shots on it and DD looks like it is going to
start growing again. Yay. I look forward to that heavenly scent again.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Where nature decided we only needed one week of spring this year before
bringing on summer. The last two weeks have seen most days in the high 20s
to high 30s (82.4F to 96.8F)!

Old 25-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
I'm getting more disappointed that mine died! A collegue at work
brings a selection of her roses in each week and we stand around
discussing them. Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that
I have seen one "live and in person". Those colours and that fragrance
just rubbed it in that Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant
I see one for sale, I am buying it!

Oh dear... I won't rub in the fact that my Granada is the first of my
HTs to bloom, with a flush of 9 lovely fat buds all opening up...

Where nature decided we only needed one week of spring this year
before bringing on summer. The last two weeks have seen most days in
the high 20s to high 30s (82.4F to 96.8F)!

This week in Sydney has been close to 30 C each day. My poor newly
planted teas are sulky and may die on me. It was way too ambitious to
get bare roots in Spring. I shouldn't have leaned on poor Dr McLeod at
his heritage Honeysuckle Cottage nursery to send me some. Triomphe du
Luxembourg and Souvenir d'un Ami were just too good not to try. Each
morning I gently mist them with a seaweed solution spray in the hope
they live...

In contrast, Ferdinand Pichard (the hybrid perpetual I got along with
those teas) is sprouting new canes up from every pore! That bush looks
like the equivalent of a loaded gun.
Old 27-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Shiva

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:05:33 +1000, "Kirra"
wrote:

I'm getting more disappointed that mine died!

Did you tell what happened to yours? If so, I missed it. Did it die as
a bare root?

A collegue at work brings a
selection of her roses in each week and we stand around discussing them.

Sounds like a fun way to start the day. I take mine in and people give
me strange looks because I know the names of all of them. They are
what I like to call "red rose, pink rose" people, because usually that
is all they know about their roses if they have any.

Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that I have seen one "live
and in person". Those colours and that fragrance just rubbed it in that
Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant I see one for sale, I am
buying it!

Me too. Potted, nice and big, so it will produce lots of blooms next
year before the voles get it!

Old 29-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Kirra

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message

I'm getting more disappointed that mine died! A collegue at work
brings a selection of her roses in each week and we stand around
discussing them. Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that
I have seen one "live and in person". Those colours and that fragrance
just rubbed it in that Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant
I see one for sale, I am buying it!

Oh dear... I won't rub in the fact that my Granada is the first of my
HTs to bloom, with a flush of 9 lovely fat buds all opening up...

It's OK, I'll just think of it as encouragement for a rose I intend to buy
but just haven't found yet. I'll try to ignore the fact that I did have it
for a short while.

Where nature decided we only needed one week of spring this year
before bringing on summer. The last two weeks have seen most days in
the high 20s to high 30s (82.4F to 96.8F)!

This week in Sydney has been close to 30 C each day. My poor newly
planted teas are sulky and may die on me. It was way too ambitious to
get bare roots in Spring. I shouldn't have leaned on poor Dr McLeod at
his heritage Honeysuckle Cottage nursery to send me some. Triomphe du
Luxembourg and Souvenir d'un Ami were just too good not to try. Each
morning I gently mist them with a seaweed solution spray in the hope
they live...

Could you put up a shade sail over them so they miss the midday sun?
Hopefully your temps have cooled down like ours have. Nice balmy mid 20s
yesterday and today.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Kirra

"Shiva" wrote in message

I'm getting more disappointed that mine died!

Did you tell what happened to yours? If so, I missed it. Did it die as
a bare root?

I bought it bare-root/potted. Sounds strange but a local nursery buys in
bare-root roses and pots them up straight away. They say that way the
bare-roots don't dry out and already have a head start when you buy them.
Granada had one existing cane and several nice shoots already starting to
grow (some basal breaks) . I took it home and left it in the pot to keep
growing roots before planting it into a bigger pot.

About a month later all the shoots from the cane or from the graft started
to wilt over. I thought maybe I had let it dry out a little bit but even
with water it did not perk up at all. It just kept wilting further until it
eventually died and went brown. None of the other pots showed any signs of
problems so now I'm wondering if maybe it was a problem with the graft or
with that particular rose.

A collegue at work brings a
selection of her roses in each week and we stand around discussing them.

Sounds like a fun way to start the day. I take mine in and people give
me strange looks because I know the names of all of them. They are
what I like to call "red rose, pink rose" people, because usually that
is all they know about their roses if they have any.

That's no fun ... half the fun is working out which rose is which! "No, no
that can't be champanger because it is white. Champagner is cream. Ooh that
one smells nice, which one is that?"

Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that I have seen one

"live
and in person". Those colours and that fragrance just rubbed it in that
Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant I see one for sale, I am
buying it!

Me too. Potted, nice and big, so it will produce lots of blooms next
year before the voles get it!

We are going out to a farm in two weeks time to get lucerne hay and it just
happens to be very near a rose farm. I'm hoping that they have Granada there
(and they only sell potted roses).

Old 29-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
Could you put up a shade sail over them so they miss the midday sun?
Hopefully your temps have cooled down like ours have. Nice balmy mid
20s yesterday and today.

Low 20s here, with 11 degree C nights... totally confused the roses,
which probably thought last week that summer had come early. I'm now
staving off a mildew attack... that makes it an early autumn, right? :-)