Old 25-09-2003, 08:14 PM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Indoor/outdoor?

I've got a tree that is ment to be indoor, but when I looked around on the
web, it says that indoor trees should be put outdoors in the summer?

Is this right, and if so, why?

I think a lot of "bonsai" companies and retailers naturally want to sell
people trees, and feel that if they label the plant as being an "indoor
tree" they will sell more of them. Let's face it, a lot of people think a
bonsai should be able to be grown as any other houseplant. No tree evolved
to live in an "indoor" climate. Most "indoor" trees tolerate being indoors,
but often slowly (and sometimes not so slowly) decline and eventually die.
If a person has enjoyed having one of these bonsai, they may well buy
another, and the company producing this "indoor bonsai" gets a repeat
customer, which helps their profits, so they don't mind producing trees that
are going to die, or be killed by their owners by being kept indoors.

Nearly any tree will benefit from being outdoors as much of the year as the
tree species and your climate will allow. Truly tropical trees could easily
be killed by exposure to frosts, many trees require a period of dormancy in
a winter to maintain their health and vigor. So, while trees will benefit
from being outdoors, you need to know the temperatures and other
environmental factors that will help your tree to thrive, and you need to
know about your local climate and temperatures. Some trees like direct
sunlight, many prefer sun and shade, some really require a shady location.
There are many factors to consider to help your tree thrive.

Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++