Old 25-09-2003, 08:14 PM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Indoor/outdoor?

I've got a tree that is ment to be indoor, but when I looked around on the
web, it says that indoor trees should be put outdoors in the summer?

Is this right, and if so, why?

I think a lot of "bonsai" companies and retailers naturally want to sell
people trees, and feel that if they label the plant as being an "indoor
tree" they will sell more of them. Let's face it, a lot of people think a
bonsai should be able to be grown as any other houseplant. No tree evolved
to live in an "indoor" climate. Most "indoor" trees tolerate being indoors,
but often slowly (and sometimes not so slowly) decline and eventually die.
If a person has enjoyed having one of these bonsai, they may well buy
another, and the company producing this "indoor bonsai" gets a repeat
customer, which helps their profits, so they don't mind producing trees that
are going to die, or be killed by their owners by being kept indoors.

Nearly any tree will benefit from being outdoors as much of the year as the
tree species and your climate will allow. Truly tropical trees could easily
be killed by exposure to frosts, many trees require a period of dormancy in
a winter to maintain their health and vigor. So, while trees will benefit
from being outdoors, you need to know the temperatures and other
environmental factors that will help your tree to thrive, and you need to
know about your local climate and temperatures. Some trees like direct
sunlight, many prefer sun and shade, some really require a shady location.
There are many factors to consider to help your tree thrive.

Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi, I'm new to Bonsai.

I've got a tree that is ment to be indoor, but when I looked

around on the
web, it says that indoor trees should be put outdoors in the

summer?

Is this right, and if so, why?

Yes. It is right.

All plants (with the possible exception of some algae that may
have adapted to the darkness of cave life) are outdoor life.
After all, when plants were "invented" there wasn't such as thing
as "indoor."

We in our pridefulness call them "indoor" plants, but it is only
because they _can_ survive indoors if forced to do so.

Note the word "survive." That's what they do inside a building,
where even the artificial the light is poor, there's almost no
life-giving sunlight, the humidity is sometimes down in the
single digits (where plants prefer the upper double digits),
where there are no predators to eat the aphids and whiteflies
(which truly seem to be "indoor" insects), and where watering is
iffy at best.

Given temperatures that they can endure, plants will ALWAYS do
better outdoors. When it gets too cold, we can turn them into
"indoor" plants. They still will do better in a greenhouse than
in OUR house.

So, in truth your tree is NOT meant to be indoor; that's just
where you have it, and with a little luck on its part and quite a
bit of work on yours, it may survive there.

Some day go where you can see "indoor" bonsai growing where
they're supposed to go (in the lands of perpetually no frost) and
compare them with MOST "indoor" trees of the same species grown
where they cannot see 365 days of natural ultraviolet light. NO
comparison.

Welcome to the complexly simple world of bonsai.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who owns ONE
"indoor" plant, but it lives outdoors from mid April to mid
November (usually).

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

Because trees die of bordom if forced to watch too
much TV.

Really the cycle of light and dark and temperature
shifts are more normal to a plant than the conditions
available indoors.

Kitsune Miko
Hi, I'm new to Bonsai.

--
Phill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Dynamic

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Bonsai.

I've got a tree that is ment to be indoor, but when I looked

around on the
web, it says that indoor trees should be put outdoors in the

summer?

Is this right, and if so, why?

Yes. It is right.

SNIP

Cheers. You guys have got to be the most helpfull NG I've seen so far.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 25-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Dynamic

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Bonsai.

I've got a tree that is ment to be indoor, but when I looked

around on the
web, it says that indoor trees should be put outdoors in the

summer?

Is this right, and if so, why?

Yes. It is right.

SNIP

Cheers. You guys have got to be the most helpfull NG I've seen so far.

Thanks for the responses.

[IBC] Rooted Cuttings [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor? Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 8 01-12-2003 05:32 PM
[IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor? Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 30-11-2003 05:15 PM
Indoor/outdoor? Dynamic Bonsai 0 25-09-2003 07:02 PM
[IBC] Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 01:55 AM
Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? 257roberts Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 12:55 AM