Old 25-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default DD potted vs. bare root

Susan H. Simko wrote:

The Lowes rose was also
twice the size of the bare root when I put the Lowes in the ground.
However, the bare root now makes the Lowes look like a shrimp. Near
identical conditions for the two roses so it's just "interesting"
right now.

Daniel Hanna wrote:

Interesting. Susan, what kind of soil did you plant the bare root in?

Both of the beds were prepared at the same time - a good rich potting
soil with some fertilizer(s) mixed in. I'm of the "dig a big hole in
the clay, throw away the clay, and fill the hole with good soil" camp.
I can't remember exactly what soil I used at the time as I have switched
off brands when putting in different beds but the interesting part is
that both beds were prepared at the same time and the soil mix came out
of the same wheelbarrow.

Only difference that I can think of is that the J&P bare root got a
several week soak in a bucket with nutrients before it was planted where
as I don't know what was done to the Lowes potted J&P to prepare it.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu