Old 29-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Suzanne in CA

Default Recommendations for Texas?

(DFStoneJr) wrote in message . com...
Hi, all,

I live in southwest Fort Worth, zone 7A or 7B (that close to the
line), and I need a little help.

I've been perusing the Jackson & Perkins and David Austin catalogues
for more than a week and am overwhelmed with the choices!

I think I might be able to make some final decisions for 3-4-ft bushes
(although any suggestions for fragrant, season-long flowers that don't
require a lot of maintenance would be appreciated!).

Where I need a little help is in two areas:

1) Along a 6-foot west-facing fence. I have about 20 linear feet to
cover, and these bushes will serve not only as a screen/hedge but also
as a backdrop for some of the smaller roses I wish to acquire. I'm
loking at Rosaraie De L'Hay primarily because the David Austin
catalogue lists it as 7 feet tall. Any thoughts on that or any other
suggestions? I'd prefer height, low maintenance, lots of blooms and
fragrance.

2) On a west-facing brick wall. Actually, this will be in a corner, a
spot that can get really hot in the summer. We had a Sombreuil that
did well there. I'd like to replace it with something that has lots
of flowers throughout the season, if possible, and is very fragrant.
I wouldn't mind mixing a red and a white together. The limitation is
a trellis/support that's only about 5 feet tall, which rules out many
traditional climbers but might introduce the possibility of using some
of the "English Roses as Climbers" varieties in the Austin catalogue.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Hi!
Some roses that have worked incredibly for me are Graham Thomas
(TALL!), New Year (tons of flowers), Lagerfeld (unbelievable reach LOL
and FRAGRANT), and Arizona...that one is not listed as a climber, but
the canes are really long and need to be tamed - gorgeous flowers!
Hope this helps : )
Suzanne
zone 10?