Old 27-09-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Hhow best to estabilish a new lawn at this late date?

"JMac" wrote:
Please excuse this newbie question.

I'm having a home built in mid Michigan and the final grade was just
done. I do not want to suffer through the fall and winter with a muddy
yard (I've got a big dog and 3 young children). Is there anything I can
plant now that will hold the soil in place and act as a nutrient in the
spring when I plan on putting in my lawn & garden?

Seems that once I heard of growing alfalfa and plowing it under in the
spring, that this would supply the soil with a good nutrients and be a
good source from which to plant grass.

I'm running out of time and am desperate to get something in that will
hold the soil in place (I've got some slopes that I don't want to erode).

Does any body have a suggestion that might take root yet this year, not
look to ugly through the winter and create a positive base from which to
build my lawn on in the spring? (I know that's asking a lot)

Have you considered having it hydro-seeded? It's not too late if
you get busy.
Any help, ideas, urls are welcome!!

--
http://NewsReader.Com/