Old 27-09-2003, 07:04 AM
JMac

Default Hhow best to estabilish a new lawn at this late date?

Please excuse this newbie question.

I'm having a home built in mid Michigan and the final grade was just done. I
do not want to suffer through the fall and winter with a muddy yard (I've
got a big dog and 3 young children). Is there anything I can plant now that
will hold the soil in place and act as a nutrient in the spring when I plan
on putting in my lawn & garden?

Seems that once I heard of growing alfalfa and plowing it under in the
spring, that this would supply the soil with a good nutrients and be a good
source from which to plant grass.

I'm running out of time and am desperate to get something in that will hold
the soil in place (I've got some slopes that I don't want to erode).

Does any body have a suggestion that might take root yet this year, not look
to ugly through the winter and create a positive base from which to build my
lawn on in the spring? (I know that's asking a lot)

Any help, ideas, urls are welcome!!

Old 27-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Die Spammer !!!

Get alot of seed down(about 5-10 seeds per square inch and cover with a seed
cover like a manure/compost mix. I found some nice cheap compost mix from a
place here called Bark Time. Your nursery will have some stuff or looking
around for places that sell compost might be cheaper. After you put down atleast
1/4 inch of seed cover, you will need to compact it. Yard rollers from your
local rental house will do the job.Try to make sure the seed does not endure
temperatures less then 60. My seed sprouted up in 4-5 days. Plant this weekend
and your lawn/grass should be ready for the winter.

DONT LET THE DOG OR ANYONE ON IT TILL AFTER A FEW MOWINGS ATLEAST!!!!!

and of course... keep the seed damp...

Old 27-09-2003, 01:02 PM

"JMac" wrote:
[...]

Have you considered having it hydro-seeded? It's not too late if
you get busy.
Any help, ideas, urls are welcome!!

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old 28-09-2003, 01:25 AM
lois

Fall seeding is best for northern lawns so do it now.

Choose your seed or mixture, scatter well, rake in, then lightly cover
with straw.

It will need to be kept damp. Even a short dryout is harmful

Spring and summer are the least effective; its even better to seed over
snow.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:52 AM
Oscar_lives

"JMac" wrote in message
[...]

Sod it over a good tilled base and fertilize it with starter fertilizer and
keep it watered.

Good luck.

Old 28-09-2003, 03:33 AM

Fall is a great time to seed/re-seed, so if you get off your butt and
get hopping, there's no reason why you couldn't have a nice start
before the really cold weather sets in. Just forget about Kentucky
Bluegrass as in all my experience, it doesn't germinate fast enough.
Stick with a good Fescue/Rye mix. You could spend the big bucks and
put down sod... hehehehehe. You could also hydroseed. The trick here
is to get it down quick, keep it damp but don't wash it away. Do not
leave seed on the surface if that's the way you go... rake it in and
get the seed just under the topsoil. Straw will keep the surface true
and prevent some washout. Sprinkler system will help.

We expect that by Halloween you'll be reporting back about how nice it
looks!

Mike

Old 28-09-2003, 05:23 AM
JMac

My problem is that I don't have time to properly prepare the soil (I'm doing
about 30% of the home building myself). The builders "final grade" is just
pushing about the top soil they skimmed of before digging the basement (it's
probably not all that bad of soil but defiantly needs a little work before
it is ready to be a full time lawn) its full of stone, twigs and the like.
In a perfect world (that would be next spring) I'll augment the soil with
compost and till it in, than power rack the rock and other crap out before I
plant a lawn. The house will not be done for another 4 week but I do have
water.

What I'm looking for is something to hold the soil in place so I don't have
to live surrounded by mud all winter. It is a walk out lot so there is a
slope to the land and I'd like to stop any erosion.

I'm in need of a quick fix, something I can grow over top of what is there
and wont cause me problems next spring when I try to do it right.

Once again this is Mid Michigan and the nights (and days) are stating to get
cool.

Any ideas of what I can get to grow?

Old 03-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Die Spammer !!!

Spring and summer are the least effective; its even better to seed over
snow.

OMG Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. LMAO

Have you ever had seed grow in snow? Ummmm.... LOL

Old 04-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Chet Hayes

"JMac" wrote in message
[...]

First problem you have, is your list of requirements is mutually
exclusive:

1 - You want something to put down now which you can build on in the
spring when you have time.

2 - But, you indicate the soil is not properly prepared, is full of
stones, twigs, etc.

Whatever you plant now will make it much harder to fix number 2 in the
spring.

So, I can see two alternatives:

1 - Get the soil straightned out now and quickly seed with whatever
will be your final lawn. This would be my first choice, even if you
have to pay someone to do it.

2 - Seed with annual ryegrass which will give you a quick, cheap
cover, tht looks good, prevents erosion, etc, then straighten out the
lawn in the spring. However, not only will that be much harder,
spring is not the best time to be planting a new lawn.